Which engine is in a mid-80s 300d?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Still Learning
With an auto trans, since I highly doubt I would find a 4 speed. Which engine and is it any good besides good mileage?

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

om617, 5 cylinder turbo diesel or NA. Cast iron head, cast iron block. Goes over 700,000miles no problem as long as you change the oil on a regular basis and do a timing chain or two in that time. And you'll never have the head off for any reason. Bullet proof engine.

slow as cold molasses

I wanted one for a long time. Then I drove one. NO WAY! LOL

You won't find one with a manual transmission unless it's a conversion or a gray market imoprt.

Can they be modded? I can't drive a stock vehicle if it's slow.

Garrett

What about the 240?

Which injection pump is needed to make some power? I'm talking only 250-300hp at the most.

Garrett

yea i had a 300SD turbo 3.0L and it was too slow for comfort. Too acheive 300hp out of those engines if its feasible your most likely goin to loos some reliability or a lot of money.

Step up to the later 96 to 99 e300 turbo diesel. They have a lot more potential, and are getting very cheap nowadays. Much better car imho.

With an auto trans, since I highly doubt I would find a 4 speed.
You will never find a turbo 300D in a 4-speed because they don't exist.
Non-turbos are extremely slow and built much weaker.

The non-turbo and turbo 300D engines look similar on the outside but are actually completely different engines.

Which engine and is it any good besides good mileage?
OM617.952, simple and reliable but $$$ to get good power out of.
Get an 87300D or 87 190D 2.5T instead. The OM617 is a design founded in the 1950's while the 86+ diesels were clean-sheet designed and much more efficient.

do a timing chain or two in that time.
Unnecessary. The chain will last the life of the engine if normal maintenance is taken care of. The chain is never what fails, its caused by failure of either the tensioner or guide rails allowing slack in the chain.
However, the chain should still be inspected every valve adjustment.

Can they be modded?
ForcedInduction's 1982 300D - Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

What about the 240?
Gutless and worthless. You will spend more than the car cost just to get the same power as a stock 300D and it will be nowhere near as reliable.

Which injection pump is needed to make some power? I'm talking only 250-300hp at the most.
M-pump from a European gray-market import modified by Myna. The MW pump used on USA models is a clunky truck pump while the M was designed for automotive engines.
300hp is not possible without custom rods. The stock internals are not strong enough to sustain that power.

Step up to the later 96 to 99 e300 turbo diesel. They have a lot more potential, and are getting very cheap nowadays. Much better car imho.
Clearly you have never owned any.
95-97 are non-turbo and can't make power reliably without custom rods and pistons or a gut/engine swap with a 98-99 engine.
98-99 are electronic which makes the car drastically more expensive and difficult to get power from.
The only practical way to get power from a 98-99 is to swap the engine into something else and use a mechanical pump.

Last edited:
So what can be done on stock internals? I'm not looking for a hot rod, that's what the truck is for. Just looking for a little more power and still some decent mileage. Seems as though I'm better off putting the money towards the truck.

Garrett

if you want a little beater that gets good fuel mileage, get you a Honda or something

You absolutely can not fathom how slow those old school mercedes diesels are.

if you want a little beater that gets good fuel mileage, get you a Honda or something

What he said.

My 94 Accord i bought for $1200 had a completely rebuilt front end and 175k miles on it. Now has 225k and everything works. Average 30mpg mixed and that is with harder driving, a/c using, and an auto. I also can gun it and spin the tires through 2nd gear. Parts are cheap. My wife blew the radiator on her way home one day. About 5 miles from home she saw the temp gauge pegged. Thought it would be a good idea to get home for me to check it out. I drained 2 qts out of the radiator and put in 2 gallons.

Still running strong 1.5 years later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Clearly you have never owned any.
95-97 are non-turbo and can't make power reliably without custom rods and pistons or a gut/engine swap with a 98-99 engine.
98-99 are electronic which makes the car drastically more expensive and difficult to get power from.
The only practical way to get power from a 98-99 is to swap the engine into something else and use a mechanical pump.

So you are saying that using this engine, he would be able to reliably get 250 to 300 hp out of? Yes, I have never owned one. But I did spend the first half of my adult career life as a mercedes benz factory trained technician. Would I personally every own one? Probably not, but I do know that the only work we ever did on the later diesel 210 chassis was just maintenance, and a few common 210 chassis problems like window regulators and such. I did get to ride in one that was around 270 whp a guy brought by, still running the factory maf and parts. It was apretty quick ride. As with any diesel engine, more air, and more fuel, make more power. So, a bigger turbo, edm nozzles, and a little tune action, you should be all set. Trans parts are now easy to come by, thanks to the dodge charger and challenger, and beefy amg hot rods from benz.

Tormentor, think outside the box. Clearly you are incapable of doing so. You will have more fun that way. It is a challenge, and yes, you can use a larger than stock tail pipe, with a muffler that is not stock, and make hp due to flow while still being almost as quiet as stock.

Nope, don't want one that bad. Didn't know which engines were in them or what their potential was. I now know and am no longer interested in them. Haha.

Garrett

Back