which Towing tires?

Burner

slow poke
Well, the mighty fine Generals are wisping away at a pretty good rate. I doubt they'll make it to 25k, I'm @ 16k now. They are wearing pretty even but wearing they are. :doh: What's a good tire to replace it with? I thought about the Mic's but I'd like some other options.... Toyo, Goodyear, Delta, Carlise, Yokahama (sp), Bridgestone or even the Firestone tire.

Although I'd like to go 19.5's ....it's just not pratical at the moment.

Tow heavy.......truck and trailer click off about 18,000lbs unloaded. :eek: LOL

Bite the bullet and get a set of Rickson's, by the time you buy a set of good E rated tires etc you have paid half the cost already. If you tow heavy and often they will pay for themselves in increased tire life.

The E rated Kelly Safari Trex is an excellent tire. Good in the rain. Good traction. Good load abilities with limited sidewall flex.

Yeah, yeah.............. you know it.:lolly:

How tall are these things? I'm think'n that a ring&pinion might be in order if I do that.........:doh:

It will depend on what size you have and what you order. Look on the FAQ section under speedometer and gearing. If you go with the 225's you will have the same height you have now and so nothing will change except your load capacity and tire life :)

The 265's on my truck are a bit tall for your application Rich, they are right at 34". One of the things about 19.5's is sidewall height makes just about 0 difference in ride and handling. I would STRONGLY reccomend getting aluminium rather than steel, they will pay for themselves in decreased wear and tear on suspension components. My one great gripe with Rickson's is how rough they are on a truck, I'm needing lower ball joints (again) and to rebushing the entire front end as well :(

But since I won't have to buy tires for the next couple of years, it's all good :D

Sure would be nice to have a 17" G rated tire..........and a rim that would handle it. :bang

Alcoa makes a 17.5 rim 8 on 6.5 rim and there are 17.5 high load rated tires out there. But most of them are trailer tires.

I bet it's not easy getting tires for such a beast........

I still do not understand why it isn't possible to mount two aluminum rims back to back. If there is enough thread.......what's the problem?

Burner said:

Rich , do it. It will get the arse of that 3500 to stop wiggeling under load and brakeing. Absolutely no sidewall squirm either.Totaly stops the tread deflection that creates heat and eventualy failure of lighter tires.Sidewall punctures on an construction site are common and these 19.5's stand up alot better. We have never had an issue with the speed rating either.Allweather performance is great too.You will thank Billy and I whenever you get them.

We run Goodyears on all our duallys.
G-124 225/70/19.5's on the rear
G-647 RSS 225/70/19.5's on the fronts

Rich followed me leaving commerce with the house in tow, I think he saw how well they do, something about a SRW short bed with 40ft and 15k of camper playing Pass all the slowpokes :evil

I have pulled the house with a dually (F-350 CC) and will say this, other than the wheelbase advantage the dually has not chit on my truck in sway control. 235/16's on the dually, 265/70 R19.5's (with taller sidewalls than the 235's) on my truck. The difference is amazing, if my truck wasn't so peculiar I should have let you drive it with the house in tow Rich, I think you would be amazed.

WOW 19.5 KICKA$$ be honest with the weighti haul i think that what i really need wheels an tire roughly how much billy?

New?? go to Rickson's web site, you can buy match mounted tires and rims or just the rims and put whatever tire you want on there. They are not cheap and do cause front end issues when you run the larger tires (unsprung weight), but they are worth it for 80k of tread life and no worries about flats or overloading the tires :evil

What about those *new* Silent Armor tires from GoodYear? What kind'a advantage would they have?

No clue Rich, you can get a 124 series tire in a 16" rim, steel casing and all. The only drawback to them is what they are made for, heavy duty off road use, so they are a traction tread and don't give great life on the highway.

Go ahead and buy a set of Rickson's, you know you want to :poke:

Yes and no on the 19.5's...... I'm real hard on tires. Every stop is a drag race. ........Ready set go! And I'm off to 45 or 50 MPH in 35 Zones with lights. I don't think I'd get 80k out of a set of 19.5's, maybe 35-40K.:doh:

Does anyone know about these new GoodYear tires? They are made for high TQ heavy vehicls, our trucks....or so I have been told.:confused:

Back