Which turbo would you use?

MMAguy

I have an 03' powerstroke, mainly used tow a 12k+ Lb trailer

I have the EGR delete, 3 1/2" turbo back, sct tuner, stage 2 intake, ARP studs, and now I am looking at upgrading the turbo. One guy suggested a modifed stock turbo with a lighter wheel (not diggin that), have looked at different stage 1,2 and 3 turbo's. Turbo kits.com has a "white lightning, 66mm inducer, 96mm exducer, flows 60 LB a minute for $1,999...

also looking at the II stage 2, not sure the size...I want it to spools as fast or faster than stock but want the extra boost and power. I may put 155cc or 175cc injectors in down the road...Thanks

155cc stix with a ii stage two vgt would be an awesome towing set up, call innovative diesel for the tunning and you'll be on your way

yeah what Shawn said would be a very great tow setup and i think you'd be very pleased. Eric at Innovative will set you right up.

Do the II Stage 2's have surge issues? I know my modded VGT would surge while towing if I hit a hill...and it ran a little hot even with stock sticks.

I have an 03' powerstroke, mainly used tow a 12k+ Lb trailer

I have the EGR delete, 3 1/2" turbo back, sct tuner, stage 2 intake, ARP studs, and now I am looking at upgrading the turbo. One guy suggested a modifed stock turbo with a lighter wheel (not diggin that), have looked at different stage 1,2 and 3 turbo's. Turbo kits.com has a "white lightning, 66mm inducer, 96mm exducer, flows 60 LB a minute for $1,999...

also looking at the II stage 2, not sure the size...I want it to spools as fast or faster than stock but want the extra boost and power. I may put 155cc or 175cc injectors in down the road...Thanks

There are a few things to consider when you are looking to upgrade your key components (injectors and turbo). The stock charger is very well suited for the stock injectors. Upgrading your charger before your injectors will usually only net you a few horsepower and you will usually loose a little bottom end. We usually recommend upgrading your injectors first, then your turbo. The only acceptation to that is if you are having issues with your charger.

As far as a "White Lightning 66" I would strongly recommend staying away from that. A good towing turbo will be somewhere between a stock charger and up to a 64mm depending on how much weight. At 12k, we don't recommend anything above a 62mm currently. The larger you go, the more lag there is and you will find that the majority of your driving, you will be under the charger. That creates high egt’s, lots of smoke, and no power to make it up the hills. So, making sure you have a charger that is the right size when you are using your truck for work, is key. Many people will upsize the charger because they think the customer wants horsepower and tell you that “special” tuning is required for towing. While custom tuning helps for towing, the key is to have a charger that works for towing before you start.

As far as the VGT upgrade, we don’t feel anything larger than a 62mm compressor wheel is a good idea on a VGT and even that, isn’t recommended because of the relationship between the compressor wheel and turbine wheel. We have done a lot of research and have found that our 6.0 VGT turbos don’t lend themselves very well to modification. So, we have actually gone a different route and are just about ready to release a new turbine housing specifically designed and engineered for the 6.0 Power Stroke Engines. This housing will be for a non-vgt turbo. These housings will bolt directly to your factory pedestal (04 and newer), offer quicker spool up, reduced egt’s, reduced back pressure and increased response. As of right now, we will be doing a pre-sale next month and will be delivering the chargers in the beginning of March. We will, also, be releasing photos, horsepower numbers, and additional information around the middle of next month when we officially announce our pre-sale.

That sounds like a great turbo...I thought that the 66mm was a vgt...I could imagine trying to tow with that turbo and stock sticks etc. What a nightmere. So thanks guys, leaving the turbo alone for now...

Back