white haze when cold

moneymaker44

the other day i noticed my truck has started to put off a white haze from the exhaust when cold as the motor warms up it will get less noticable but it is still there because when i drive to work in the morning i can see it in the headlights of the cars behind me.

any thoughts on this. i need to replace both air filter and fuel filter soon anyway. oh and i have a connection at the fuel filter seeping a bit i need to fix as well it sometimes gets air in the lines and gives me a little bit of a hard time on start up once it fires off it will run rough for a minuute until i clear it out then it will run smooth the rest of the time until i let it sit a few hours some days it will do this and other days it fires off just like it should and runs smooth. just wondering about the white haze??

howmay miles is no you truck did uo throw inj in it are you buring oil

215k miles on the truck.
it has 5x.012 injectors over size DV's and barrels
head is o-ringed 100 plate ,banks twin ram and working on finishing my twin's when time allow's.
i think it could be bad fuel but it puts off a cloud of white smoke at idle and will steadly haze white until the motor warms up that seems to make it cut down but does not get rid of it.
it started suddenly and the truck run's fin and runs hard if i push the go pedal
now i did swap turbo's because it was going to be my top turbo when i am done maybe it is allowing some oil to pass but i do not think i am loosing oil since i checked it the other day and it was fine.
so i am just wondering if any one has any thoughts on this.
i just added a good dose of Power service and more fuel to the tank.

What size headgasket are you running?
I know since I put my .020 gasket on with the orings and not having the NEW head milled it lowered the compression alittle and it now smokes white at startup.
Also, it sounds like you are running alot of fuel. Its probably just unburned fuel because you arent making enough heat to burn all of it.
One other thing, have you checked your timing? Maybe it slipped alittle.

how long ago did you put the sticks in your truck

my truck did this after i did my sticks and think it was the oil on the pistions

a moter that is built loos will do this. but watch your oil close. do the fuel treatment
best of luck

Last edited:
it sounds like you are running alot of fuel. Its probably just unburned fuel because you arent making enough heat to burn all of it

X2...with my pump cranked and injectors it will haze until it warms up...just the nature of the beast...

X2...with my pump cranked and injectors it will haze until it warms up...just the nature of the beast...

x3... My truck is the same way, kinda cold blooded too, but that has a lot to do with timing with my truck. But, the amount of fuel those 5x.012's will put out is definitely enough to make it smoke white when it's cold.

x3... My truck is the same way, kinda cold blooded too, but that has a lot to do with timing with my truck. But, the amount of fuel those 5x.012's will put out is definitely enough to make it smoke white when it's cold.

X4....my truck smokes white until it warms up. I'm running 5x16's, 18* timing, w/ a lil bit of pump work. I didn't know what to think when I first started the truck up, I shut it down made a few calls and was told it was normal for what I've done to the truck.

yeah, DDP4's at 18.5 in my red truck would do this at start-up:

after it warmed up, idle smoke was reduced to essentially nothing:

My truck looks worse than forest's truck at any temp. I double checked my timing, 16*, Ditching my 370's (after i have them pop-tested) for something diff.

Curtis

yeah, DDP4's at 18.5 in my red truck would do this at start-up:

after it warmed up, idle smoke was reduced to essentially nothing:

ok maybe that is it! it has i think a marine gasket with the o-rings not sure Joe Hellamn would know ! as for white smoke x3 what your truck is showing in the Photo until it warms up. then it is just a light haze.
but who knows. it had the 5x.012's in it for a while now but maybe the turbo swap made it smoke a little more on start up. i do not think the timing slipped but i will double check it.

Mine's like Forrest's. DDP4s, 18.5*, o-ringed with a .010-over gasket and it hazes just like Forrest's picture.

-Jay

Mine hazes all the time with sometimes more then others. I'm at 15 degrees right now timing wize. What's the verdict on increasing the timing and it's effects on haze? More timing = more haze or less haze? I'm not talking 30 degrees or anything just say going from 15 to 18 to 22 etc.

its just from access fuel in a cold motor. mine does it with mach 4s, it looks just like the video and verys with outside temps.

thems are videos :p

you know i really did not notice that until you said it.
it must be the extra fuel like everyone said.
how ever i pulled the filter and hose off last night and noticed a little oil on the turbo ! i run a BHAF so it is a dry filter. maybe the seal is seeping oil and getting enough into the motor to make it smoke.
at Idle the haze is not bad with the truck in park but put it in gear and it really puts off some smoke but it clears once it is warm.

being in houston i know it not from the weather being to cold :hehe:

OK well i found the problem.
i was changing my oil last night and noticed the oil return tube at the hose had a kink in it so it was not allowing oil to drain fast enough and getting some into my turbo and burning off causing the excess white smoke.
thanks to everyone for your input. i guess i should have checked there first since i had changed the turbo but it started doing this out of the blue and the turbo had been on the truck for almost a month now.

now it is back to the normal haze it had

OK well i found the problem.
i was changing my oil last night and noticed the oil return tube at the hose had a kink in it so it was not allowing oil to drain fast enough and getting some into my turbo and burning off causing the excess white smoke.
thanks to everyone for your input. i guess i should have checked there first since i had changed the turbo but it started doing this out of the blue and the turbo had been on the truck for almost a month now.

now it is back to the normal haze it had

Completely forgot to mention to look for that... My truck did the exact same thing to me after I installed the HX40. At least you found the problem.

Back