white smoke/ popping out of exhaust

Tan70

Hey guys..

well I installed some 120hp nozzles on my factory injectors and some head studs this weekend.
After finally getting the truck started it seemed to run fine with just a slight haze of white smoke, which from what i understood was normal after this install. I killed the truck after a min, cleaned up the bay and started the truck and drove it maybe a 1/4 mile to my house. when driving it, it had a hard sputtering/poping noise and was blowing a TON of white smoke. i just idled the truck the whole way home (1/4 mile) and parked it. Today I went out and unloaded the smarty and cranked it up. Same issues. I have a leak from the #6 injector line that i need to fix. Its pretty bad.
when i fix the injector line and if thats not the issue where should i begin looking?

Thanks.

what should i look for..

I will prolly have to pull everything i know that. would you suggest pull everything and reinstall and see if that is it?

Im not driving the truck until this is fixed. i dont want to have a messed up engine, cant afford that haha.

Thanks.

the number 6 line leaking could cause those symptoms. id fix it and see what it does. iam betting if you did the tip install right itll be good to go

but im worried if it is bc of the wiring on top of the injector not getting a good connection. when i was installing the nut on top of the injector I broke the stud. So what i had to do was flip the 1st wire upside down and install it on the rest of the stud that was left. I will prolly have to end up buying another injector bc of it. or if i can buy just the top piece on the injector.??? idk.

Thanks guys.

You have a nozzle sticking open need to find out witch one it is and take it apart and clean out

ok.. how do i find out which one it is? and i need to take the nozzle apart and clean or the injector body? and what is best used to clean with? brake cleaner, starting fluid?

Thanks for the help guys.

There's the hard way and the not so hard way! But first the broken stud you did fine flipping it! Good to go! Keep the gorrila away from the studs next time! You can get just the soleniod if you want Any injector rebuilder will have them. If you can't find a shop to do a cut out test to find the bad one get a ball bearing that fits the feed tube and install in each feed till you find the one that makes it stop smoking. If all you did was install tips I would recommend sending them in for testing!

Last edited:
I installed the wicked nozzles onto my stock injectors and i also did head studs.

What is the not so hard way? lol

Finding a shop to do the cut out test is the easy way or someone with the diagnostic tools to do it! How many miles on the injectors? you should really have them tested!

You could also start it up and touch the manifold and which ever one is staying cool you will have it. That would be the easiest if you can't get a shop to do a cut out test. You may also try unhooking eash injector seperate from each other and see if it changes.

I bought the truck used and it has 85k on it. had 69k when i bought it. I have had Zero issues with this truck. Has been running top notch since the day i bought it. More than likely i will end up getting new injectors later on down the road.

Where are you guys getting your injectors from? and are they new or reman? which would be the best route to go and from which company?

Thanks guys for all the help.

Where are you located? you could buy a rail cap and cap the rail off to find out what injector is giving you issues. If it was me i would yank em and send them to a site sponsor that can test them for ya!

yup kinda short on funds and time.
But i want to do it right.. so this weekend i will fix the leak.. check and see if there is a difference.
unbolt the manifold.. see if i see any fuel.. ( gunna go ahead and install the new manifold and turbo too)
if I dont see anything from there. i will more than likely pull everything back out.. clean and look everything over and reinstall.

Anything else i should do?

Thanks guys for all the help.

Back