who do I talk to???

I'm with ya...Our pulling association says you must pull in your lowest gear...in an AC, I'm a whole lot slower than the Deere's, IH's, and even the Olliver's...If I could use the higher side of the power director, it would be about perfect for my tractor.

Oh well, they couldn't tell stock RPM on a D17 Diesel if I told it to them;);)
Chris

Hahaha yeah, we have one pulling association that really doesn't give a darn what you do so long as you stick to a speed limit... Lowest gear?! yikes! I would spin out pretty much right away... It would be better if a guy brought out a tractor that had a flat wore out engine so it wouldn't have enough umph to spin the tires :hehe:

I agree on the 2cyl. jd's. They are too over rated. Your right to about yanking on the t/a or the hydra-power. On my Oliver when I yank on that my rpm's have to be below 1200 and sometimes after the h/p grabs I have to feather the throttle to keep it from spinning.

You know that's one thing that drives me nuts; people that run farm stock that come off the line WAY harder than they have to and just hammer down till it spins out. No feathering the throttle, no playing with the brakes, nothing... Heck, one of my best tricks is that I set my seat as far back as I possibly can and if my tractor seems to be balanced good enough I'll slide all the way back as far as I can and start bouncing. All the other pullers still haven't figured out why I do it, but all the old timers in the stands know exactly what I'm doing. Too bad I wont be able to do that with my econo mod (tractor rear, fabricated front frame, and a small block [cast iron heads, cast iron intake, single 650 carb]). But going from a 3 or 4 mph speed limit to an average speed of 17-21 should be pretty darn fun (especially since it will be another project that will cost less than $2000 :rockwoot:)

Hahaha yeah, we have one pulling association that really doesn't give a darn what you do so long as you stick to a speed limit... Lowest gear?! yikes! I would spin out pretty much right away... It would be better if a guy brought out a tractor that had a flat wore out engine so it wouldn't have enough umph to spin the tires :hehe:

My D17 makes 48hp at the PTO shaft...pulling in a 3 plow class with Farmall M's, JD's A's, Olly 66's...I'm giving up an easy 15hp to some of them;) I was 15' off the leader and 30' ahead of most of the pack, so I'm doing OK I guess:D

I would have done better but as I was starting to bite into the loose track and pull the front end, one of my Power Adjust wheels adjusted itself, and the other tire lost traction for a second, and had to start moving all over again:hehe: Gotta figure out how to fix that without welding them solid.
Chris

My D17 makes 48hp at the PTO shaft...pulling in a 3 plow class with Farmall M's, JD's A's, Olly 66's...I'm giving up an easy 15hp to some of them;) I was 15' off the leader and 30' ahead of most of the pack, so I'm doing OK I guess:D

I would have done better but as I was starting to bite into the loose track and pull the front end, one of my Power Adjust wheels adjusted itself, and the other tire lost traction for a second, and had to start moving all over again:hehe: Gotta figure out how to fix that without welding them solid.
Chris

Swap the power adjust wheels for pressed steel and be able to take the weight of those wheels and rims and put it somewhere else on the tractor.

Swap the power adjust wheels for pressed steel and be able to take the weight of those wheels and rims and put it somewhere else on the tractor.

Yeah...if you haven't figured out, our rules are GAY...must be a factory wheel;)

I have pricebooks for when my tractor was new, but I can't find pressed steel wheels in it anywhere;)

Weight savings wouldn't be huge anyway, it's a steel center wheel. Also, all weights must be factory style, no hanging weight. My tractor is 108" wide with all my wheel weights on it;)

Chris

Yeah...if you haven't figured out, our rules are GAY...must be a factory wheel;)

I have pricebooks for when my tractor was new, but I can't find pressed steel wheels in it anywhere;)

Weight savings wouldn't be huge anyway, it's a steel center wheel. Also, all weights must be factory style, no hanging weight. My tractor is 108" wide with all my wheel weights on it;)

Chris

I like rules like that really... I still run the factory heavy cast centers on my tractor, it balances pretty darn well as is so I figure best to leave it alone. My tractor is pretty healthy; @ 540 on the PTO it only makes 48hp, but @430 on the PTO it makes 72hp :rockwoot: I still use it in the field and run 87 octane in it too...

Ever think about drilling a couple of your power adjust slots and setting some roll pins or put in some bolts to keep the rims in their place?

Chris

I haven't come across any rules like that. My Oliver had the power adjust wheels with the cast centers (Heavy) and I couldn't wait to get them off. The weight of those suckers was more than two guys wanted to handle.

I like rules like that really... I still run the factory heavy cast centers on my tractor, it balances pretty darn well as is so I figure best to leave it alone. My tractor is pretty healthy; @ 540 on the PTO it only makes 48hp, but @430 on the PTO it makes 72hp :rockwoot: I still use it in the field and run 87 octane in it too...

Ever think about drilling a couple of your power adjust slots and setting some roll pins or put in some bolts to keep the rims in their place?

I wanted to run the stock centers and rims on my Farmall 450 but I wanted to run 18.4's and couldn't justify the time to widen the rims or just go pressed steel with the tires already on them. Do you like running the stock motor on your farmall or not. I still got my stock motor in the 450 but I am contemplating on putting in a 4bt instead since the local pull has a super antique class. Plus I am tired of messing with this gas motor.

I can't get the tractor to make more than 48hp...I'm gonna try and take a look at it this winter and see if I can't try a little harder:D

I'll probably drill the PS rails and bolt them on both sides, or double clamp them. I've got plenty of parts tractors...12 D17's in all:D

If I really wanted to play I have one that was a Power unit for a Cotton Picker...95hp 262CID 6 Cylinder Gas engine in it:D I'd need more tire though;)
Chris

I can't get the tractor to make more than 48hp...I'm gonna try and take a look at it this winter and see if I can't try a little harder:D

I'll probably drill the PS rails and bolt them on both sides, or double clamp them. I've got plenty of parts tractors...12 D17's in all:D

If I really wanted to play I have one that was a Power unit for a Cotton Picker...95hp 262CID 6 Cylinder Gas engine in it:D I'd need more tire though;)
Chris

I left quite a bit of room for improvement in tuning and such to wake my engine up more yet... I just haven't had to yet :evil

That cotton picker engine sounds fun to say that least...

I left quite a bit of room for improvement in tuning and such to wake my engine up more yet... I just haven't had to yet :evil

That cotton picker engine sounds fun to say that least...

Yeah...but it's too new for the rules in the tractor it's in, and it would probably break the pinion if I hooked it anyway.

Chris

Back