Whoa Baby!!!!

csutton7

well I had an interesting afternoon yesterday---I hadn't driven my truck since monday and so yesterday I drive my truck 1.5 miles to one of my jobs and then I decide I should go and find some roof tiles that I need to replace, since the painters broke some on one of my other jobs. so off I go down the road--through a few stop signs and then to a stop light and I take a left and start to accelerate and I got to about 40-45 when all of sudden I hear a thunk and the truck dips down in the front. so in the past I've had my issues with tires just coming apart, so I figured crap there goes another tire, but it didn't feel like a flat tire as I continued driving to get into the other lane and onto the shoulder---well as I'm changing lanes--thank god I was the only one on the road--a lug nut shoots out in front of the truck and goes about 75yds!!!! well I pull over and the truck is really dipping toward the left in the front, so I'm pretty sure I've sheared some wheel lugs, since I saw that lug nut shoot out, but when I get out of the truck and look under at the front tire the lugs were all there and they were resting on the rim----about 1/2" more and the tire would've rolled for miles and I'd have a fricked up rotor, front end, etc.....dang I should've taken a picture----now I'm not talking about the studs having 1/2" to go to come out of the stud holes in the rim, but I'm talking about the outside of the rim at the bead----so now I have one WELD typhoon rim that has some interesting grooves in it and a cap that looks like a lawn mower blade. lucky for me my guys were going back to my garage to get a couple of tools, so I call them and tell them to bring me my floor jack, spare lug nuts and one of my spare tires---they do---we jack up the truck to put on the other tire, but it won't go on because some of the studs were bent, so I have to put back on the bogger with the screwed up rim(lug holes are slightly out of round and larger)----so we get it done, but I make sure all my lug nuts are tight and we drive home 2-3 miles----by the time I get home(low speed driving) I've lost two more lugs and all the lug nuts are loose again. well the front bearing is shot, which happened when the tire came off originally, because I noticed it was wiggly when we put the tire back on. so I'm not sure, but I think someone was trying to steal my tires, I only found two lug nuts(with the help of the CHP officer, who stopped to see what was going on), because it seems odd that I wouldn't feel that wheel bearing going out on SAT or MON and driving so little yesterday, but I can't prove it---but I do know now that a screwed up wheel bearing combined with over sized lug holes in your rim will afford you only about 2-3 miles of driving even when going 20-25 mph-----

oh wait you think my great luck is over----no it's not---the real ***** is I have the EMR system for the front end(I've had it for at least 3 months), but I don't have time to put it all together, due to work and now we have 3-4 days of straight rain, so even if I had time I can't because of the rain, so I had to order another wheel bearing and studs----thank god for www.rockauto.com -----well that's my rant for today----oh I think it wise to check your nuts as often as possible----I guarantee that I'll be giving mine a daily fondling from here on out(and some locking lug nuts also)-----chris

Last edited:
Damn Chris. You and that truck sure seem to get into trouble often enough lol. The last time I saw you drive it... You moved about an inch and all hell broke loose.

yea it's an interesting relationship we have---this is the 2nd time I've been spared on the road--the other time I lost the bolt and nut that holds the track bar to the front axle while doing 70-75 going up the hill out of Truckee playing with a GM gasser in traffic---that one was a very large pucker moment for me and the cars next to me, let me tell ya----chris

if I didn't have crappy luck I'd have none at all---the history between my truck and I is comical at best and it's been going on for a long time--the track bar incident happened back in '01 or '02---there's been the broken ARB in the front that was sending me all over I-5 a 2-3 yrs ago, because it was locking and unlocking while driving---then there's the pulls where I become the laughing stock because of my tremendous distances NOT achieved----all I can say is thank god for great friends and beer-----chris

DAm that sucks. I had a lug fall off while on vacation last summer. I was sitting in a Plot when the guy next to me pointed out i was missing a lug. I checked and i had 3 or 4 loose ones. I tighten them all up and was fine for the rest of the trip.

Now I torque them at least 2 a month. I stopped going to Less Schwab after that and just do it my self.

Back