Who's running low-profile 20s

VMacKenzie

I have a '98 2wd Ram 2500 with 20" rims I've been running several months but have been having problems with tires. I am wondering if anyone else is running anything such as 285/50/20 or 275/55/20. Are you having issues or are they holding up?

I bought my set off Craigslist and they had Goodyear Eagle GT2 tires which I know aren't good, they vibrated and were considerably out of round. They were 285/50/20, Load Index 111 (2403 lbs). . .too light for sure.

I found a used set of Toyo Proxes 285/50/20 for cheap but only about 20% tread left and they rode considerably better the first day or two, but then I hooked onto a 4000 lb trailer and also put 500-600 lbs of stuff in the bed and probably overstressed them. After that I have a vibration from the back. I was hoping the load index 116 could handle more, granted they're not a Load Range E (3042 lbs) by any means but 116 is 2756 lbs so I figure it's reasonably in the ballpark.

I know guys are running 50-series 20s and they seem to be doing fine. . .what brands, sizes, and how much are you loading them? I want to get new and decent tires but can't afford to spend a grand and have them not be able to do the job. . .5000 lbs towing is the upper end of what I'll be doing with the truck, and empty it weighs ~5800. I love the tighter handling and looks, hoping something works out.

Last edited:
nobody does cuz they look f'n retarded..its a truck not a ghetto cruiser

Don't mind dieselbeef. He's blind to everything around him. He's still stuck on balloon tires and pocket flares.

There are plenty of people here running smaller tires on 20's

Last edited:
It was nice of dieselbeef to stop by and share his opinion :welcome:

How's it going there Jeff? :)

I've ran 275/55/20's on my truck and currently running 305/50/20's. I've had no issues at all with either sets and I've towed on the 275's.

305/50/20 here and plenty of sidewall to soak up road and no fear in blowout.

Thanks for your input Whitetail & 2007 5.9. What brand of tires are you running?

I have ran 305/50/20 nittos on my truck for over a year, and i love them! It doesnt tow though.

Im getting ready to put cooper zeon ltz 275/60r20's on my DD and it will tow. Guess il see how it does.

On my old truck I ran Nitto 420s and Coppers version of the tera grapeler and never had a issue towing a 16' trailer. They were 305 50r20's

The nitto's were very sticky and the coppers were a great all around tire

I've run two different types of 305/50-20's. I have no complaints from either set. Toyo Proxes ST and Nitto 420s. The Nittos seem to wear better, but the Proxes offered better wet traction in my opinion.

I wouldnt call anything with a 50 side wall low profile... I have towed over 5 k with 305/50's before with no issues. Nittos 420's and toyo proxies

I am running toyo proxes s/t II 305/50/20 and have not had a problem except for a little rubbing issue when turning full lock. I have made plenty of trips down to Tennessee from Indiana and there is no excessive wear. They are holding up great.

khumo ecsta stx 275/45-20 here. seem to be wearing excellent, but dont tow anything so dont need as much of a load rating as you are running.

Back