Why I went p-pump

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Alot of the local guys I know keep asking me why I spent all the time and money building my truck this winter. They think im dumb because i only gained roughly 70hp...but thats peak power, its all about the curve and where the power is held. Then there are the Monster/II VP guys who wanna say that those pumps can make more power than I have, congrats to them, SteveB has an AWESOME high hp vp44, but he doesn't sled pull.

I'll let the sheets speak for them selves. Just look at the area under the curve, also compare the hp/tq at 3800 rpms.

Last year
253744.jpg

This year
276980.jpg

Thats just what a dyno says you gained. Wait till its on the track against a monster vp. Then they will see who makes more power. Those high horse dyno queens can keep their sheets. I will take a win at a county fair anyday. Tim

Its obvious how much extra hp you gained in a much wider powerband. And thinkin of realiability and future tunability, its a no brainer IMO!
The more I hear about the Monster/II Dragon pump the more I consider P-Pumping my own truck! And thanks to your great write-ups, pictures/movies and threads It´s probably the way I´m heading in the future.

I´ve probably read it in some thread, but what size plungers are you running and how much does the pump flow? and how much time (excl. collecting parts) have you got in the conversion?

I can say from experience it is an all weekend deal with two guys working on it. Now untill now I had never had the cover off a cummins or pulled a cam out of one but that doesnt really matter. We took our time and made everything look real clean. Since your truck is an 02 you will have to relocate the cam sensor slightly but that is really the only thing different from other years.

Sounds great! Pretty much in the same seat. All I do on this truck is a first timer. I have some time before I have the money to do the swap, but thats just time for study and I have a qouple of upgrades I´want to do before starting this project, like a cam, tappets, pushrods, damper, springs and coolantbypass and on an on....:bang
Time to begin collect parts!

Did you change something between the first and second run on the p-pump dyno? Had quite a gain on the second run.

took the plate from all the way back and moved it up about 1/2 way to the make that CDS put in there where it flowed 550cc. its got some more travel in it but im not ready to turn up the wick yet.

Back