will engine from 99 swap in a 2001?

smokin24v

ok heres the deal been wanting to p pump my truck in the worst way... well got the oppurtunity to buy my old cummins that was rolled back from the guy i sold it to.. its a 99 non 53 block.. i thought if it would work i'd buy it back and take the engine outta the 99 and put it on a stand and p pump it and what not over the period of a year or two and when i get all of what i want done to it.. id put it in the 2001 which is my daily driver now...... the reason im wainting to do it this way is so i can work on it here and there and not have any down time on my truck.. i just didn't know if they were a direct swap or not? and the 99 is a auto and the 01 is a 5 speed but don' think that would matter at all engine wise right?

make sure you use the timing cover and cam gear from the 01' to keep the vp running. Not sure on the p pump but I just did the swap and had trouble with the cam sensor (no tach). I'm sure the ECM's are different but it shouldn't matter as long as you keep the original ecms that came in the truck. the p pump section of the forum should give you all the info you need to get the right signals from the cam/crank.

ECM needs to stay with the engine is is meant for unless the crank and cam is changed.. 98.5-00 has a Crank and cam sensor. Crank exciter ring provides a Tach signal and the cam exciter ring is used for the injection pump.. 01-02 engines only have an exciter ring on the cam which controls everything..

So......
You have 2 options really...

Keep Correct ECM with its proper engine and cut a few wires in the harness to make the ECM read the correct signal from the correct sensor...

______or_______

Keep the complete engine wiring harness and ECM together and swap them in with the engine so you don't need to cut wires and ruin a perfectly good, sell-able harness..

if i am reading it right he is wanting to stick the 99 motor in the 01 (p-pumped) correct. is so simple. all you need is the p-pump stuff with the haisly cam sensor relocator and a cam gear from a 01 or 02 (with tone ring). just use all sensors and ecm from your 01 and you should be good to go. and i would install the blocker plate from the 01 on the 99 behind the starter (for the crank sensor) this is the easy swap. now if you were putting a 01 or 02 in a 98.5-00 you would have big problems.

you're right, but i just figured i'd tell him the way to do it without buying anything.. But he does still need to try and find a 01-02 cam gear your way.. that won't be cheap, unless someone doesn't need one..

yeah no kiddin i found one on ebay when i was doing my 12v conversion and the three 24v sensors i needed oil, water, and intake air with 01 cam gear 120 i tired to get him down to 100 even yeah it cost me ended up giving 100 for the gear month later and lucky to find it they are near 500 new from cummins SNEDGE hooked me up with a used one.

I am putting in a 2001 cummins in my 99. Will it work if I install the 02 ecm and wiring harness????

I am putting in a 2001 cummins in my 99. Will it work if I install the 02 ecm and wiring harness????

yes, just must rewire the ecm plug to recieve a cam signal to the right pins on the ecm.. you will need some wiring diagrams...

Where can I get those diagrms? My tack dosel not work, will that fix that Prob too?

Just go to painless wiring it will make everything alot easier the 02 ecm should work but idk i run a 04 ecm on my 6.7 cummins and it runs fine

Back