will my head handle 40lbs

96cumminsJSD

I just put on a bigger turbo and I am making about 40lbs of boost at full throttle. I still do not have head studs. Do you think the factory head bolts can hold 40lbs??? Thanks

Its really hit or miss. It depends on a lot of things, but no two trucks are the same. Some may hold 60psi on the stock head gasket and some may blow with 30psi and a stock turbo. Fueling, heat, timing, mileage, etc. all play a part.

ya i tend to run at around 550 degrees in town but i do go as high as 1300 when i am hot rodding it... I was making 43lbs on mt stock holset turbo , but i know that it was only making power until like 25lbs after that it was just heat. and this turbo actually powers up to 40lbs. I would just hate to blow my head gasket running a sled pull this saturday.

If youre hookin to the sled you're puttin your truck at risk no matter what. Any number of things could break. Gotta pay to play! If it breaks, fix it.

what hurts you the most right now

is possibly your timing.... Its a tad high for a stock HG... 16-17 is what they hold best. I ran 16.5 for the longest time, saw 60 psi on a few occasions, some dyno runs, lots of towing, and miles, and never blew my HG. But then again i wouldnt romp on the truck either, nor did i sled pull..

a good retorque would be some cheap temporary insurance, but that does not guarantee your HG wont blow.. as teddy said.. its all hit or miss, and no two trucks are alike..

I wouldnt go over 40psi. And as TXDiesel007 said, that is pushing it on a stock gasket for timing.

I have been running 40psi and 16* for a long time now with no problems, so you may be fine, but I wouldnt go anymore with it on boost or timing.

I have pulled mine several times with no problems from the stock head gasket. EGT's are over 1500* at WOT.

Eric

I have been running around 48psi with my plate pulled back and also have the same worries! I am going to a 435 injector soon so I believe that the studs are in the near future for me. If you keep it under 50 you should be ok,at least that has been the case for me for the last two years.....

i pulled 4 times this year ran 45 psi at around 1500degrees and had no probs but now i said some thing the next pul i will blow the hg

Back