Won't start, but not what you think

Dtruck1

Engineer
Ok guys, truck is an 03 250hp standard output 5-speed single cab 2500 4x4. This guy has had starting issues for around a year. Engine will crank and crank and never fire. He shoots a little ether to it and it starts and runs fine. I told him he had too much fuel bypassing the injectors and get a new set.

Well, he ends up dropping a valve. Gets a repalcement engine with 90,000 on it and drops it in. The only thing that is shared between the two engines is the ECM. He gets the engine in and drives it for 3 days, no problem. Today, get's in it after work and it is doing the same thing. Tach is working while engine is cranking. ECM doesn't show any codes. The new engine came with it's own rail pressure sensor as well.

Do you all have a clue to the problem?

Thanks, Rob

Last edited:
My guess is that the replacement engine has a completely different hard start issue than the old engine had...symptoms might be the same but that does not mean the cause is the same. I suggest you plug the truck into a diagnostic tool and see exactly what the engine is doing, otherwise you're playing russian roulette with expensive parts. $.02

It could be a bad cam signal, a bad crank signal, a poor electrical connection at any of the sensors, a weak CP3 pump, low fuel supply pressure, a dirty fuel filter, leaking injector connector tubes, high fuel return rate, etc etc...the list goes on and on. Unless you know a certain thing is the cause don't assume it is.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's pretty much what I told him. The engine came from the junk yard. They are gonna throw it on the chrysler tool Monday. Check rail pressure and that sort of thing. Me personally, I would have just rebuilt what I had. He got a deal on this engine, but it may not turn out that way.

To cut the list down, lift pump is a FASS fuel pressure guage reads 16 psi after the filter, and fuel filter was changed upon installation. Of course that doesn't rule out injector bypass, connector tube leakage, cp3 pressure... Time to get a bucket and a stop watch.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:
Another thought on this issue. Could it be a bad FCA? The only problem with this idea is I always heard that when FCAs fail they provide max pressure.

Last edited:
Just about every No start with out ether problem I have seen on these CR's is the FCA. Could be a coincidence that the new engines FCA crapped out, or something on his truck is causing it.

Give the new engine a shot of either..see what happens..same problem different Motor?

So, eneded up being an improperly installed fuel filter. I got some time, went over to his house and pulled the filter. He had cross threaded the filter cap and completely trashed the filter housing. My guess, it was sucking air. New filter housing and starts fine.

Thanks for the input.

You know, reading stories like this makes me wonder why some people are allowed to use wrenches.

Back