Won't Start When it's cold! HELP!

cabnr9

So I have a 2000 7.3 that I use as a daily driver. However, this year, if the temperature gets below 20 degrees at night and I try to start my truck in the early morning it won't start no matter how long I crank on it. If I wait till the afternoon, it lobs bad, but will start. YES, I plug it in at night also! I figured it may be the plugs so I replaced the drivers side plugs last night and after testing the 4 that I removed and found that the plugs I took out were in great condition, I wont be tearing in to the passenger side. I have tested the relay and it reads fine. After sitting in the cold all night last night, plugged in, I got under it to see if I could tell if the heating element was working. I felt right where the element goes in and actually felt that it was very warm so I don't think that that is a problem either. Suggestions on next step?

HEUI, no solution besides move south. My buddy had a couple magnetic heaters that he put on his, one on the pan and another on each valve cover or somewhere under hood.

Otherwise you have already covered the basics. I think an ECM reflash to the newest catch code might help, because for some reason certain 01' models are terrible in the cold. I've seen a reflash help this a lot, I realize yours is a 00' but might be worth it. A long time ago you could have the dealer reflash to newest catch code for like $100 or something like that, might be a little more.

Check your oil level. Some more sensitive then others. Sounds like you have checked the easy stuff. Other then the royal pain in the a-- I would pull the glow plugs and check them. Ohm meter does the job. Mine will start at o degrees on its own not plugged in. It's a y2k also. Good luck

check voltage on on side of relay that is always powered, then check the other side of relay and it should read zero with the key off and read the same as 1st side with key in the on position

I think the problem is fixed. Before I changed glow plugs I didn't bother to check the heater at all. Once I found that the glow plugs were fine, I then unplugged the heater power cord from the heating element and cleaned off what seemed like very little corrosion. Ever Since I cleaned it off though, when plugged in, my truck starts perfect. I must not have had power to the heater before that. Considering it was 5 degrees last night and my truck started on first turn with no lob this morning, I consider the problem fixed.

My '97 won't start unless plugged in, glow plugs are good to.
If it is plugged in, it WILL NOT start period.

My '97 won't start unless plugged in, glow plugs are good to.
If it is plugged in, it WILL NOT start period.

WTF? Do you understand what you said..cuz I sure as hell don't.
Saw the last post afterwards.. LOL

Last edited:
Regardless of the block heater, the engine should still start at 20 degrees, 10 degrees, 0 degrees, etc.

If it's not, something is wrong. If you can start it with the block heater, but cannot start it without it.... the problem is in the glow plug system. It might be GPR, it might be glow plugs, it might be the wiring or harness under the valve cover, etc.

Regardless of the block heater, the engine should still start at 20 degrees, 10 degrees, 0 degrees, etc.

If it's not, something is wrong. If you can start it with the block heater, but cannot start it without it.... the problem is in the glow plug system. It might be GPR, it might be glow plugs, it might be the wiring or harness under the valve cover, etc.
Exactly what he said. Thankyou Dear Sweet Baby Jesus.
My HEUI 7.3L started at -25F without being plugged in and sitting overnight in those temps. That's NEGATIVE TWENTY FIVE DEGREES.

Can I get an AMEN ! Tell it brother! LOL

I know you're trying to be helpful but you have no idea what you're talking about.
I'll just leave it at that for now.

My HEUI 7.3L started at -25F without being plugged in and sitting overnight in those temps. That's NEGATIVE TWENTY FIVE DEGREES.

That was meant partially as a joke about moving south. Funny that the first guy to dispute that lives in TN. -25? I suppose if absolutely everything was in perfect brand new working order maybe. Perfect compression, injectors, plugs, relay, intake heater, etc. I still doubt it, when they were brand new they never started below 0, if that. And if they did start they would chug and hammer and sound like it was going to fly apart. Seeing as how maybe 1% of trucks fit in the perfect brand new condition it doesn't matter much to me. I remember back when the dealer sold them new around here they had them plugged in during winter. I can still here the salesman in my head, "You can test drive a Powerstroke but only one of those two that are plugged in." I know salesmen don't know jack most of the time.

With a HPCR it will just start either way. With a mechanical it will just start either way. Why waste my time and money trying to maintain a HEUI so that it will start good, when I can buy a Duramax or Cummins and not have to worry about anything and it will just start? It's a no brainer. My dad has a 6.4 now and he can't get over how it starts. He still has a 7.3 and he hates it now, used to say they were the best thing since sliced bread. Funny how you love something until you try something better. When I first went to Cummins, I never understood why I wasted my time for so long with that HEUI.

If you want to mess around with HEUI, that is your choice. I'm done with that overly complicated abomination.

Well this guy used to live in Michigan.. so I guess that comment is null and void.

That was meant partially as a joke about moving south. Funny that the first guy to dispute that lives in TN. -25? I suppose if absolutely everything was in perfect brand new working order maybe. Perfect compression, injectors, plugs, relay, intake heater, etc. I still doubt it, when they were brand new they never started below 0, if that.
Mine did it just a few years ago with well over 100K miles at that -25 temp. My truck is far from the ideal "perfect" you seek.

It starts every single year at temps below 0 degrees without being plugged in. In fact, it rarely gets plugged in.

And if they did start they would chug and hammer and sound like it was going to fly apart. Seeing as how maybe 1% of trucks fit in the perfect brand new condition it doesn't matter much to me.
Of course they chug at really cold temps. Engine oil health and type used has quite a large effect on how much chugging and romping it does.

However, your 1% estimation is a gigantic exaggeration.... considering there are tons of 7.3L PSD's on the road that start daily in colder climates with temps well into the single digits or below zero without being plugged in.

I remember back when the dealer sold them new around here they had them plugged in during winter. I can still here the salesman in my head, "You can test drive a Powerstroke but only one of those two that are plugged in." I know salesmen don't know jack most of the time.
Again no one denies these trucks will romp and chug when you start them in very cold temps. Oil gets cold, that's no secret. These injectors fire using oil pressure, again no secret there either. However, they should start unless you have something broke. Not perfect.... broke.

Which is precisely the point I was trying to make with my first post in this thread. The truck is supposed to start at those temps. Since it's not, something is most definitely broke. Since it starts with the block heater, 99.9999999999% of the time it's a problem with the glow plug system. Get the glow plug system back in normal working order, and the truck should fire right up at 20 degrees.

With a HPCR it will just start either way. With a mechanical it will just start either way. Why waste my time and money trying to maintain a HEUI so that it will start good, when I can buy a Duramax or Cummins and not have to worry about anything and it will just start? It's a no brainer. My dad has a 6.4 now and he can't get over how it starts. He still has a 7.3 and he hates it now, used to say they were the best thing since sliced bread. Funny how you love something until you try something better. When I first went to Cummins, I never understood why I wasted my time for so long with that HEUI.

If you want to mess around with HEUI, that is your choice. I'm done with that overly complicated abomination.
Who cares?

Everyone has their preference. Of course a newer 6.4L or 6.7L PSD will be monumentally easier and quieter to start in the dead of winter. We all know the advantages of CR over HEUI in terms of injection quality. However, we all know the advantages of not having an EGR valve, DPF, or having to use DEF fluid. Checkmate. :poke:

In other words, for every argument you have about how superior the new 6.4L and 6.7L engines are, there is an equally valid argument to tout the superiority of the older 7.3L's. But at the same time, it's a ridiculous argument because no one wins. It's like every guy in this thread whipping his cock out to see who has the bigger dick, only everyone's gay for doing it, so everyone loses.

Last edited:
Everyone has their preference. Of course a newer 6.4L or 6.7L PSD will be monumentally easier and quieter to start in the dead of winter. We all know the advantages of CR over HEUI in terms of injection quality. However, we all know the advantages of not having an EGR valve, DPF, or having to use DEF fluid. Checkmate. :poke:

Except you can get a truck without HEUI or EGR or DPF or DEF. Cummins made them for oh I dunno 15+ years? To try and sell a HEUI Powerstroke on that idea is absurd. Un-check.

As for the rest I don't have time right now Pocket. Peace out and party on Garth.

Back