WOW finaLLY Got a 12 valve- Gen light is on

jponder

RESIDENT MAD SCIENTIST
Bought a 96 3500 for 6K with 229K miles, Just drove it from La to Atlanta. It kinda jumps in and out of overdrive and the oil sending unit is bad as it jumps from 0 to 40 etc.

About 30 miles ago GEN light came on! Who has best price on a gen? Is it a real Gen or an alt?

Mileage wasnt great maybe 17 mpg going 70 but tranny jumping in and out of overdrive prob hurt some. i am excited to have a 12 valve though.

I am prety sure it is an alt. my truck used to jump in o/d.i sprayed contact cleaner in the tps and it seemed to help.sometimes putting it to the floor for a second and then resuming speed would help for a week or so.

if the Gen light is on the alternator is done for. Unless you have a short in one of the wires coming off of it, or look and see if one of the little nuts fell off that hold the black piece of plastic on. It will have three metal tabs coming out of it one is just a holder, and the other two come out of it towards the middle of the alternator, if one of those nuts came off it will also make Gen light come on do to not making good contact. This could be some of the trans problem since you are probably running on batteries alone and They are probably about dead.

is the light staying on or is this an intermittent thing?Mine did that for a while and it was the crank sensor.I just took mine off and claned it up and regapped it,its been fine ever since

Gen light came on solid, no flickering. Oil light flickers at stops but Idle is set low like 500 in gear.

idle needs to be 750 in gear ac on. check the crank sensor before buying a gen could be dirty or need gapped. or a wire coud be going bad.

have fun turning the 12V up

Brought it to Pep boys and they said alternator was putting out but it has mismatched batts. I'm going to run it in daytime only till I get a good set off batts and check out the other. Thanks!

Idle in gear w/no ac is 500 and it just flickers the oil light.

i bet it the oil light will go out when you bump the idle to 750 in gear. congrates on the 12v.

Back