Wrecker Idea

apocalypse1812

Nailed It!
So, because my '96 sucks at just about everything, Except off-roading, I own one of the bigger 4wd trucks in the area, and Since I am always getting asked to pull people out of mud holes, high tide the beach, wet grass, ditches, ect. I am thinking about putting a Wrecker body on my truck, I just bought a set of 36" AG tires for it. I think that I would have more fun with it as an off road recovery rig (not to mention be able to make a little money on the side), if I was able to just go offroading only with it, and be able to pull ANYONE out, and have a truck that is all around BAMF, that would be better than to suck at every diesel sport I compete in.

This is the problem I am facing, what would you do?

I found a good candidate for a wrecker body on Craigs List:

Holmes 440 Wrecker Body

Here is my truck (Notice the Ag Tires):

apocalypse.jpg

I was also thinking about replacing the stock bumper with a telephone pole, that way I can run into trash cans, shopping carts, and rice burners, and not worry about denting the bumper...

I don't know the laws where your at but when you put that wrecker body on things may change. A big winch a couple snatch blocks and you have the truck.

First off I'd take out a good life insurance policy...ag tires on a truck = :badidea:

There was a guy on DTR who had a neat setup, kind of like a oil field gin pole truck and a winch. I can't remember his name, had some videos of him dragging out a burned out super duty in the desert. He had a leaf sprung Ford 60 in the front of it. Tried searching, their search sucks right now.

I thought about that too, on a flat bed... I just figured that a wrecker bed would be easier.

I would buy another truck to do that to. Yours is too nice. Why does it have to be the center of attention anyway? Hang a pink boa off the tailgate.....

I understand doing all of those things you are talking about using it for. That's how I smashed the side off my 96.

I would buy another truck to do that to. Yours is too nice. Why does it have to be the center of attention anyway? Hang a pink boa off the tailgate.....

I understand doing all of those things you are talking about using it for. That's how I smashed the side off my 96.

I have dumped a bunch of money into it, and have almost nothing to show for it...

It is not special in any way from the 5 other white lifted 12 valves running around town...

I've got close to 26K all told in mine and it looks like hammered ass. runs nicely though.

If you plan to actually tow anything with it and not just do winch outs, then you need a wheel lift, not a sling. If you plan on just doing winch outs, put a quick attach Warn winch and wire the truck so you can run the winch on the front or the back. I wouldn't put that wrecker and all the weight on the truck and then try to off road with it. Just my 2 cents.

I used to be in the wrecker business, had 20 light and heavy wreckers before I sold out. Whatever you do don't buy an add on wheel lift and expect it will tow a 3/4 ton or one ton truck. Not going to do it safely.

I was also thinking about replacing the stock bumper with a telephone pole, that way I can run into trash cans, shopping carts, and rice burners, and not worry about denting the bumper...

i cant stop laghing that is hilarious, ag tires and a telephone pole bumper would be the coolest rally truck ever, just needs coilovers so you can jump it:pop:

It was just all of my ideas put together. I'm just tired of having a "Normal" truck...

The more I think about it, the more I want to do it... But I got an offer on my truck today, lol. I had it for sale localy, and this guy wants to buy it...

I'm still not sure what to do...

Back