‘89 Cummins KSB delete

Rambler16

Hey I can’t get a definitive answer on this:

Can I disable my KSB by either flipping the spring behind the pin or removing the spring and adding a spacer of some kind to keep it locked in?

I just bought a 89 non IC w250 that’s bone stock and I’m looking to do a clean restoration with some moderate upgrades. I noticed the engine ran a bit sluggish, low idle, a bit choppy maybe? The valve lash was really good and zero blow by even with the tube plugged. I found the KSB wire was off so I crimped on an eye to screw on direct, wire has power, but I noticed zero change in the engine after fixing it.

I’m wondering if the wax motor is out and honestly would rather just delete the whole thing but I can’t find the factory industrial/ bus style non KSB parts.

Apparently I know jack schidt about them old mechancial engines since I had to look up what a KSB even was. Sorry. I'm not help. This is the reading I found. After reading, why would you want to disable it?

Ref 1: Advances the timing about 6-8 degrees by closing off the bleed port of the pump's internal pressure regulator. Pump pressure increases and moves the advance piston against its spring. By doing so the piston rotates the cam ring kinda like a plate inside of a distributor w/points ignition. The injection pump rollers hit the cam lobes earlier and timing is advanced.

Ref 2: Basically, when triggered, the KSB increases internal pump pressure, which, in turn, increases the 'start of injection', or timing. It's a handy feature for cold starting because more timing will reduce blue and white smoke from a cold engine, and will also aid the idle quality of a cold engine.

More specifically, the KSB renders the ve's internal supply pump pressure regulator useless when in operation--giving basically full advance at idle. The pressure regulator, in combination with the overflow valve, control the wonderful dynamic timing feature inherent to the VE.

Seems like if you were wanting to do anything you would want to keep it on all the time for more pressure and timing advance? What is your reason for wanting to disable it?

Apparently I know jack schidt about them old mechancial engines since I had to look up what a KSB even was. Sorry. I'm not help. This is the reading I found. After reading, why would you want to disable it?

Ref 1: Advances the timing about 6-8 degrees by closing off the bleed port of the pump's internal pressure regulator. Pump pressure increases and moves the advance piston against its spring. By doing so the piston rotates the cam ring kinda like a plate inside of a distributor w/points ignition. The injection pump rollers hit the cam lobes earlier and timing is advanced.

Ref 2: Basically, when triggered, the KSB increases internal pump pressure, which, in turn, increases the 'start of injection', or timing. It's a handy feature for cold starting because more timing will reduce blue and white smoke from a cold engine, and will also aid the idle quality of a cold engine.

More specifically, the KSB renders the ve's internal supply pump pressure regulator useless when in operation--giving basically full advance at idle. The pressure regulator, in combination with the overflow valve, control the wonderful dynamic timing feature inherent to the VE.

Seems like if you were wanting to do anything you would want to keep it on all the time for more pressure and timing advance? What is your reason for wanting to disable it?
I want to bump my timing and don’t want another variable in play is the main reason. On the non ic engine it defaults ON (advanced timing) until power is supplied. When I bought the truck it was disconnected for I don’t know how long. After fixing the wiring I didn’t notice any change with leads me to think the wax motor might not be working?

I gotta try and pull it today to see if it is but I would rather have it either set up on a pull cable like some the VW pumps or bypass it all together, industrial style pumps.

Roger that. I must have missed that it was advanced until powered. Good luck. Sorry I'm zero help on that deal.

For your CJ0419 Cummins ISL/ISL or similar setups, disabling the KSB by flipping or removing the spring isn't typically recommended, as it can lead to inconsistent engine performance. While some have attempted using spacers to keep it locked in, this is more of a workaround than a proper solution. If your wax motor is faulty, it's best to replace it or source non-KSB parts from industrial or bus-style engines. A proper fix will ensure smoother operation and avoid potential long-term issues.

For your CJ0419 Cummins ISL/ISL or similar setups, disabling the KSB by flipping or removing the spring isn't typically recommended, as it can lead to inconsistent engine performance. While some have attempted using spacers to keep it locked in, this is more of a workaround than a proper solution. If your wax motor is faulty, it's best to replace it or source non-KSB parts from industrial or bus-style engines. A proper fix will ensure smoother operation and avoid potential long-term issues.

Thank you for the information! Could you direct me to the part numbers for a bus/ industrial non ksb setup? I’ve been looking but can’t find anything on it.

Back