.001-.003 ring wear, bore or hone only?

Sidious

Yes, I live in a shop bay
I have the block to my 98 12 valve at the machine shop. They said the cylinder has .001 - .003 ring wear and are asking me if I want to bore it over or just hone. Honestly I'm not sure and would like some advice one way or the other.

Thanks,
Doug

It all depends on what you're going to do with it.
Also is the "ring wear" tapering of the bore, or is it out-of-round?

If you wanted a looser engine and plan to beat the snot out of it from the get go, looser wouldn't hurt, but if you want a 400,000 miler, it might not make it that far.

Personally, I'd run a quick hone through it and put it back together, but that's the cheap side of me talking.

.003 (Three Thousandths) isn't a terrible amount on a 4"+ bore.

Mark.

It all depends on what you're going to do with it.
Also is the "ring wear" tapering of the bore, or is it out-of-round?

If you wanted a looser engine and plan to beat the snot out of it from the get go, looser wouldn't hurt, but if you want a 400,000 miler, it might not make it that far.

Personally, I'd run a quick hone through it and put it back together, but that's the cheap side of me talking.

.003 (Three Thousandths) isn't a terrible amount on a 4"+ bore.

Mark.

what would be too loose?

what would be too loose?

Anything that allows "fall out". :hehe:

Seriously, though, most auto manufacturers start getting worried at ~.003 taper, IIRC.
I understand that pullers will run blocks honed ~.010 over, but that's to combat piston growth due to heat and the bore generally is a fresh, straight bore, which has no taper, so the rings don't flex, causing the rings to crack.
A tapered block is also harder to get a feasible ring end gap to limit blow-by, but many times a scored cylinder will leak compression much more than a bad ring gap will.

{edit}
I found this article to be interesting:
http://biosystems.okstate.edu/home/fharry/3211/900_Homework/CylinderTaper.htm

Mark.

Last edited:
Ill bet its side to side. Put a hone plate on it and strighten the bore out .002