01 7.3 315K miles

Big Blue24

Comp Diesel Sponsor
My boss has a tired 01' 7.3 with 315K on the clock. Only thing that's been rebuilt or replaced is the alternator and rebuilt tranny around 250K miles.

Anyway, he noticed that the power is down a little from when he first bought it. He tows 5K twice a week and 10K 4 times a year to hunt. This is a beat up old work truck.

His mechanic told him that the last thing his tired engine needed was a programmer or fueling box.

I told him I would ask the experts here at comp D what they think. So, if you are not a hot rod, never race, just drive the speed limit mostly, but your 7.3 had 315K miles on it, would you add a towing box?

I told him he could probably get a little better mileage too.

If he were looking for something cheap, possibly used, what would you put on it. Or is this a bad idea in light of all those miles?

I would say its time for injectors and maybe a HPOP. Then you can talk to him about a chip.:poke:

Mileage isn't necessarily a bid deal; it really depends on the condition of the engine. Before he starts adding anything, he should have it looked at and find out why he is a little low on power.

After the engine is back up and running the right way, then look to add power. A programmer, intake and exhaust are good ideas. He just needs to realize that the truck has a lot of miles and he shouldn’t drive it like he stole it.

I have seen 7.3's with 700,000+ miles on them, still running like a top. They are good motors, just need to take care of them.

When I say down on power, I mean when new he could pull his 10k load up the 6% grade at 7000 feet at 60MPH, now he can only pull it at 55mph. Not a huge drop in power, just a little.

He does not drive it like he stole it, very easy on his truck but it is a work truck so it gets worked. Lots of highway miles, lots of muddy job sites, extended idling when cold etc. Typical Contractor stuff.

Anyway, I guess I will tell him to leave it alone if that is the consensus with you Ford gurus. I know if it was an old 12 valve cummins, I'd just bump his timing a degree and slide the stock plate forward just enough to be noticeable but not extreme. But if the Ford HPOP is getting a little tired, it should not be stressed with a small 40 HP towing tune of sorts.