01 7.3 vanishing oil

06ramcummins

completely rebuilt motor, with new injectors. truck runs great, no oil leaking from anywhere on the motor, no codes. what i don't understand is that this motor will consume a quart of oil about every 60 miles. When the injectors were installed all o-rings were replaced. any ideas where the oil is going? Motor has about 10k miles on it and this oil is still steadly vanishing.

Pull the fuel filter out and check for oil in fuel. Might have cut an o-ring installing injectors.

Pull the fuel filter out and check for oil in fuel. Might have cut an o-ring installing injectors.

Ding ding ding! Winner.

If it was blowing oil out the turbo, there would be smoke and oily residue in the exhaust. Since it's not doing that and it's not leaking, it's getting past the injector o-rings and into the fuel.

Either the injector o-rings weren't put on properly, or non-OEM o-rings were used. Get a new set of OEM o-rings and yank out the injectors.

there is no blow by, no residue anywhere. Injectors have been pulled twice and o rings replaced. i ended up taking the truck to a mechanic and he is saying the injectors themselves are whats causing it. this isn't my first rodeo so im a little baffled.

Injectors have been pulled twice and o rings replaced.
What brand o-rings did you use?

I ask because there is a HUGE difference between OEM and aftermarket o-rings for these injectors. I made the mistake once of picking up an aftermarket set from the local auto parts store. In less than 1000 miles of driving my truck was eating through a quart of oil every 50 miles or so.

And I've never heard of oil leaking through the injectors themselves like that. All signs point to an o-ring issue.

Take the high pressure oil line off and pressurize the the oil rails with shop air, and put a ball valve on it with a gauge and see if it leaks off. Thats how we check the dt466 at work

is it getting in your coolent? could be oil cooler.

Probably not. For the amount of oil and miles as he describes it would have filled the reservoir 10 times over by now. And been super obvious.

The problem is in your title. Stop using "vanishing" oil. Change to another brand. LOL
Chuckle chuckle everyone.

Back