01 Oil Leak

Gdogg

Hi Guys, I have a 01 with a oil leak, its leaking on the left front of the engine, kinda behind the timming cover. I have it up on the hoist and it is hard to see where the leak is. I'm wondering if there is a common leak in that area or what am I in for, or and tips before I tear it down. it has 150,000 miles on it. Thanks

Possibly the vacuum pump seals where it mates to the power steering pump. Pretty easy repair. New seal kit from cummins runs about $15.

Remove both as a whole. 2 bolts on the back of timing cover, 2 hoses coming off the power steering pump,1 vacuum line and an oil line on the bottom side. It ready to come out. Pay attention to which way the lip seals are facing so you put the new ones in correctly. The kit from cummins has everything needed. I use sockets to remove and install the new seals. Cummins p/n 4089742

Also remove the intake horn for room to work and remove. Sure you would figure this out but figured I'd mention it. Lol

Thanks Homewrecker, I picked up the seal kit at Cummins today and I'm going to do this in the next couple of days. I'll report back with the results.

Well, I reseal the vacuum pump, like homewrecker said its not to
bad of a job. Thanks homewrecked, the advice was a big help.

If anyone needs the part number for the seal kit its
Cummins 4089742 $12.84