02 motor in a 99 crankshaft sensor problems

When they did away with crank sensor it was moved to cam gear the ring on the cam gear and location of sensor is slightly different between the two.

I'm aware. That doesn't mean they can't be kept in their locations though... just because they aren't being used doesn't mean they have to be removed. The cam sensor on a 1998.5-2000 doesn't read/do anything.

the original motor was overheated really bad so didnt want to reuse the crankshaft. will the tone ring unbolt or press off of the crank or cam which ever it is on, and press or bolt on the 02?

No, the tone wheel on the cranks that used crank sensors are bolted on and has machined/cast mounting on the crank.

When I did a 01 in a 98 I took the crank sensor wires and ran them to the cam on the 01 motor. But I did use and 01 ecm

Last edited:
Pin #17(grey ) on 2000 and earlier is the ckp sensor signal wire. On 01-02 Pin #17(same grey wire is used for the cam sensor signal wire.

Ok, we're in the same boat with a 01 going into a 00, we currently have the 01 ecm and harness on so I may swap the 00 harness back in and try that...

Back