.020 over head gasket?? Timing

yoshi470

EDP Janitor
Well I just got my truck up and running with a .020 over head gasket. The reason for going with a thicker head gasket is because when i had the head off there were impression marks on the pistons from the valves and my tolerances were to close for my liking. I found this to be an easier solution than fly cutting all my pistons. Truck is HO model and im just wondering what my compression ratio would be at now. Head and block have not been decked. Also the timing was pinned at 22* what would the timing be at now with the thicker head gasket? Havent had a chance to drive the truck yet due to the on going blizzard but it does seem to haze just a bit more than before but i figured that would be the case. How much of a difference would there of been in my CR if i would have flycut my pistons say .050 vs the .020 over head gasket?

I wouldnt doubt it either. I've always read that on a HO you will get outside the bowl +/- 24*....I am running .093 lines so im guessing that would retard the timing a bit. Any idea where I could pick up some thinner injector washers to compensate?

Do they make thinner injector washers for 24v engines? I would think it would throw off the alignment of the connector tube.

I was told that a thinner injector washer wont affect the connector tube alignment.

X2 thats where I got mine from. Never had an issue running a thinner washer.

What thickness washers are available? I always thought it was just the one size.

well, seein as how most all available carry a cummins part number, due to service requirements, i imagine alot of sizes are available.

i searched some and couldnt my answer. this looks like the best place to put my question how do you judge what thickness washer is needed?

Stock washers are .059. The thin washers are .020, and then we have a super thick one that I've never measured because we've never used them.