03 lb7 starting issue

IHfarmer

I got an 03 with about 163000 on it. Its been having problems firing when its cold. If the truck has been run and is a little warmed up it starts fine. I have rebuilt the filter housing and put new lines from the filter to the cp3. It doesn't matter if its plugged in or not it doesn't want to fire. The balance rates are good and it will hold 23k rail pressure and i dont have any fuel in the oil. It does seem to help if I give it some pedal when cranking. I think I'm still gettin air in the system just wanted to see if anybody else had any ideas . TIA

Have you checked or replaced the glow plugs? What happens when you plug it in?

Glow plugs are good. Plugging it in does nothing. Starts better when its warmed up.

Ok so I took off the hose going from the filter to the CP3(I think). Its the one with the arrow pointing away from the filter. I hooked up a clear hose to it and put some diesel in it. I crank it over and the CP3 is sucking the diesel in. But if I fill the hose and let it sit the fuel will drain into the system somewhere. The hose is not leaking and I have no fuel in the valley or on the ground. Im confused. Should the fuel leak down into the system like that? Is there a valve or something letting it flow thru there. I need somebody with some knowledge on these things. Thanks

Check your fuel lines coming from the tank. We had a cummins one time that had the same problem. So we took the supply line off at the motor and hooked up a clear hose and ran it into a 5 gallon bucket of diesel fuel to watch the fuel. The truck started fine then, all of the sudden fuel started doing from the tank area. The problem was there was a rust hole in the top of the elbow on the return line to the tank. So it was sucking air but once we put a good source of diesel to the motor, then there was enough fuel to leak.