04.5. New everything, but laggy and other issues

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
I finally got the old girl up and going but its not performing like it should.

The run down:
04.5 truck, ecm and harness
rebuilt 03 engine with xergy 40% injectors, hamilton 188 and all hamilton valvetrain, Floorit 2.5 CP3
HTT 66/71/13 stainless +AFE exh manifold.
Have used both the original TNTR and SSR tuning

The problem I am having is this thing will not lite the turbo till around 2300 rpm and will only fuel to 3500rpm. Free Rev will only go to 3800rpm even with the rev set at 5K or 6K. The truck also has a shutter while cruising.

I've changed intercooler because mine was slightly leaking around the side tanks, swapped the CP3 for a stock unit, and changed every sensor on the truck except the TPS and the IAT. No matter what I do it seems to have no effect on any of these issues.

Data logger on the scan tool shows rail pressure to peak at 23-24000, and the TPS seems to be working ok ranging from 5%-95%.

Stock tuning clears out the shutter but it seems to dead pedal for the first 2 or 3 seconds of giving any kind of throttle, then just like flipping a switch, it picks right up.

If anyone has any clue what the issue could be to cause all these problems, the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

188 with a 66 = your issues!

Man, where do you get your info from? If anything it's been said multiple times that a aftermarket cam helps when running a less than ideal air setup.

I will never run a ISBe without a aftermarket cam installed...

The run down:
rebuilt 03 engine with xergy 40% injectors, hamilton 188 and all hamilton valvetrain, Floorit 2.5 CP3

The problem I am having is this thing will not lite the turbo till around 2300 rpm and will only fuel to 3500rpm. Free Rev will only go to 3800rpm even with the rev set at 5K or 6K. The truck also has a shutter while cruising.

I've changed intercooler because mine was slightly leaking around the side tanks, swapped the CP3 for a stock unit, and changed every sensor on the truck except the TPS and the IAT. No matter what I do it seems to have no effect on any of these issues.

Data logger on the scan tool shows rail pressure to peak at 23-24000, and the TPS seems to be working ok ranging from 5%-95%.

Stock tuning clears out the shutter but it seems to dead pedal for the first 2 or 3 seconds of giving any kind of throttle, then just like flipping a switch, it picks right up.

If anyone has any clue what the issue could be to cause all these problems, the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm assuming you are running the correct spray angle for the piston? If you put 03-04 Pistons back in it, the injector needs a 143* spray angle.

188 is known to be more of a upper rpm cam now put that with a 66 on a 5.9 and you have a laggy upper RPM PIG! But Hey that's my opinion! Just thought I'd throw that out there. But hey I'll keep my thoughts to myself, carry on

I thought there was a discussion about the 04.5-07 electronics not running well with the 03-04 injectors? Or maybe it was the other way around

Did you degree the cam in, or do a Ron Popeil and "set it and forget it"?

188 is known to be more of a upper rpm cam now put that with a 66 on a 5.9 and you have a laggy upper RPM PIG! But Hey that's my opinion! Just thought I'd throw that out there. But hey I'll keep my thoughts to myself, carry on

Do you have first hand experience with what you describe?

This biggest problem with going to a bigger turbo and cam is tuning, with just box tuning, the 66 will surely suck, but add in some better custom tuning, and you'll be amazed at the response and difference.

Back in the day I did dyno tune on smarty TNT with stock cam vs 181/210.....gained 30hp peak and ~80@2k with over 200ft/lbs@2k....

Do you have first hand experience with what you describe?

This biggest problem with going to a bigger turbo and cam is tuning, with just box tuning, the 66 will surely suck, but add in some better custom tuning, and you'll be amazed at the response and difference.

Back in the day I did dyno tune on smarty TNT with stock cam vs 181/210.....gained 30hp peak and ~80@2k with over 200ft/lbs@2k....

Yes exactly! been there done that and yes had box tuning!! The good stuff wasn't available yet! By the way I am looking for a good EFI Tuner!

The run down:

what does the tail pipe look like during the pre boost fueling?
what is your converter?

my truck has shuttered on cruise for 70% of its life. no amount of tuning, parts swapping or digging has ever fixed it. i have a LOT of posts about it.

Does it Shudder bad when going down hill? I had this issue turned out to be the UDC tune I was running had to much Inj Duration.

The truck did run better on the pull track last weekend with an SSR tune, but it still has the stutter and is still way too laggy. After discussing with a few others, I think I may have an issue with the ecm. I've been wanting to go EFI Live and keep my gauges working, so I just got about every wiring harness, ecm, fuse box, steering column, and a few other components from a friends totaled 06. Gonna take a few days but soon enough I'm hoping its a completely different running truck once the conversion is done.

Thanks for the help guys