04 Cranks but won't start...

Lil' E

Fuel Junky
Got a call last night from a guy with an 04 2500 CR that is having a no start issue. He said it has been running rough for a couple weeks so he changed the fuel filter to see if it would help but to no avail. Now the truck will not start. It will crank fine but sounds like it has an air bubble in the system that it won't pass. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should test on this thing? I told him last night that I needed to research it some because I don't know as much about a Cummins as I do a 7.3.

Well you don't 'bleed' any injector lines. Ever.
Turn key forward until fuel pump stops and repeat. May have to bump engine to kick pump
On.
Then, Just turn the engine over with all the lines tight for 30-45 seconds. And it should start.

The roughness is a different problem tho.

May need to get a scanner to check rail pressure and a gauge to check lift pump pressure. As well as do a cylinder cut out test.

How many miles are on it? I had an 07 5.9 with 200k on it that did the same thing, replaced injectors and it was all good.

give the truck a very small shot of ether. if it cranks up after let it sit over nite and see if the problem returns. if it does returm he's probly going to need a set of injectors or block them off one by one till it cranks. another thing is check the connector tubes make sure they are tight because the will bleed down fuel psi.

I know not to bleed the lines on any CR due to HP being able to cut through your skin and cause major trauma. Stackx2 its got about 90k on it I believe.

Common rail is self bleeding. Crossover tubes could be suspect if they have been removed recently, but doesn't sound so. Most likely injectors on their way out.

Ok truck is bone stock guy uses it for hauling his camper and deer hunting. I forgot to mention that before.

I would start with the cheapest fix first (FCA). If that doesn't fix the problem is most likely injectors.

I would start simple, and check the lift pump pressure, then if its good, give it a shot of ether to see if it starts. If it does, pull the injectors and have them tested replace accordingly. The FCA wount cause it to run rough.

Back when my dads truck was still a cr engine we had a startup issue where it would only start with ether no matter what. If it was hot it would barely start. We ended up replacing the relief valve in the rail and that fixed the startup issue. (Forgot the popular name for it) Never fixed the common fail problem though lol

Ok so an update for everyone I unplugged the FCA and the truck started up, plugged it back in and the truck started to drop off and would just about shut off bit didn't. So trying to get ahold of another one and am going to replace that after the holiday and see where that gets me. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find out from here. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Unless the pump at max PSI was enough to compensate for a high return injector...

I've got an 03 with 183k had the same issue it was my injectors

Just fixed this same thing for a guy at work. His was the rail relief valve...can you see any signs of leakage around it?