04 into a 06

are you going to thump it as far as fueling/turbos, or just leave it relatively stock?

Maybe. Not sure what I'm planning to do yet. I bought this 04/04.5, 06 & a 07 all with issues. The 04 maybe the engine donor for the 06 unless the 06 is a better platform to start with and rebuild.

Depends on what you're looking for. 06-07 seem to respond to simple mods well, but I prefer the 03-04.5 because it's a little more resistant to melting a piston when an injector gives up. There's a lot other this and that's, but they both have pros and cons.

To add into what you're looking at, I've heard people say the 03-04 bowl design runs a bit sluggish with 04.5-07 tuning. No personal experience though, and I'm sure that wouldn't make a difference if you were to efi tune it.

Problem is I can't leave anything alone. Its not my nature. So if I'm going to lean on one of them I want to start with the better one if possible. I'm forcing myself to learn something I don't want to learn about.

The bowl on the early cr is much different than the late cr bowl. The spray angle of the injectors is different as well. If u mix the two up u run the risk of melting pistons due to the fuel Spraying partialy on the cylinder walls and the igniting on the ring groves also the later tuning with the early parts will cause fuel knock pretty bad due to multiple injects and not being timed correct

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

The '03 early-'04 HO engines have a higher compression piston, that can help with the "sluggishness".

I'm willing to bet the bank that your '04 is the later 325 version, as typically after January 1 of the year is where the "1/2 year" emissions compliance comes in, ergo yours was likely built after the new emissions kicked in.

You'll have the "cracker bowls" and wide spray nozzles.

Mark.

Last edited:
Problem is I can't leave anything alone. Its not my nature. So if I'm going to lean on one of them I want to start with the better one if possible. I'm forcing myself to learn something I don't want to learn about.

I would say "better" would be highly subjective in regards to the differences in those two engines. The good thing you have going is starting with an 06 truck though, due to the availability of efi live. Both engine designs are capable of making power, and custom tuning is a good edge as well.

TC cover, where the flexplate bolts screw in.
TC is red if that makes any difference
If it's an early '04 engine (285/305 HP) it will NOT have a pressure sensor on the turbo, like the late '04 and up has.
{Edit}1/4/2004 is the break point on the ratings/emissions, anything after that date is the "1/2" year.

An '04.5 (325 hp) HE351cw turbo looks like this one:

$_57.JPG

Mark.
That's the turbo that's on the 04. So I guess its a 04.5. no tag on the valve cover

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_113544_156.jpg
    IMG_20140126_113544_156.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
That is definitely an aftermarket converter from looks of the cover, but not necessarily a triple disk. And it doesn't look likes it is too recent...
Looks more like they pulled it from the bottom of the ocean before they installed it.

That is definitely an aftermarket converter from looks of the cover, but not necessarily a triple disk. And it doesn't look likes it is too recent...
Looks more like they pulled it from the bottom of the ocean before they installed it.

Trucks been sitting for a little bit with the engine out. Suppose to have 20-25k since the trans was rebuilt

The red one I posted a pic of was a double disc. Can't remember the name of the company though.

So there is no other way to tell what it is except cut it apart? Why don't these companies stamp them some where?

So there is no other way to tell what it is except cut it apart? Why don't these companies stamp them some where?

Basically. There's a couple places that use a cover that looks like that. None of them are the best for holding power anyways so it depends if you're trying to make much power or not. I'd run it and see what it feels like though.

I'm going to run it. its not a huge deal I just wanted to know what I'm starting with. Seller said it was rebuilt by a local to him trans shop and was built to hold 750 with a triple convertor. So who knows what it is. It may all be stock and that a fine if I know for sure it is or isn't. Guess I will find out.

Have you looked on the hub side to see if anything was stamped on there?

No haven't pulled the convertor yet. started to do it when I took the pics but didn't

Back