04 no charging lots of codes.

bd blk 12v

Fixen broken bulldogs
Hello guys and gals. My brother has a 2004 3500 that has been giving problems. He just rebuilt the engine and got it running. He has installed a new set of optima batteries. They are the red tops brand new. He has driven the truck some and i believe the batteries were taking care of the load. The truck runs great and the volt meter would drop and then go back up. I have not driven the truck to see it. I have looked at it some checked the wiring grounds and battery cables. It had a list of codes and it was running real rough and would not go into gear. He took it to the dodge dealer and they said it needed a ecm. He bought one from online with a lifetime warranty. He sent in his old one they programmed the new one off of it. He installed the ecm and still the same problem will not charge and has alot of codes wont go into gear. I pulled the alternator and replaced it checked all the wiring. We jumped the truck off with another truck. With the jumper cables hooked up the voltmeter is about 14v. As soon as the cable is pulled it drops to 8v. What should i look at next? The codes are p0483 p0541 p2503 p2509 p0463 p0480 p0251 p0521 p0868 p0713 p0193 p0237 p0073 thanks for the help

Well that sucks that you bought an ECM and it wasn't even the problem.

Just double check all ground and connections. Try grounding the block to the body/frame with jumper cables

When you puled the alternator did you replace it with a new one or did you just have it checked as I did?.It appears like what your experiencing is voltage related so I would be checking all the wires and connections related to the electrical system.Make sure you remove the ground from the engine block and clean it good also(it is located right behind the engine damper and mounted right before the ECM)

Also,IMO,If when you did the install on the new ECM if they transferred your Operating system from the old ECM to the new one you may have just moved your problem.The new ECM should have been loaded with a fresh version of the needed software to run the truck thus eliminating any chances of issues later.

I was having a load of charging system issues on a 03 that turned out to be bad grounds and a failed alternator.hope you find it.......Andy

It is a brand new alternator. I have the old one I could take it to have it tested.