04 won't start.

331stroker

My buddy was on his way to town in his 2004 dodge and it acted as if it was running out of fuel but he just but he just got fuel the day before. He pulled over and turned the truck off and when he tried to restart it, all it would do is crank. What could cause this?

Did he put alternative fuel in it? Cycle the key 3 times ending in run position and get the codes.

Jake

Check codes first and fore most.. Sure he filled up with diesel? Take the fuel filter out and check for debris or gas. Also, can you hear the lift pump cycling? Should be able to tap the starter and hear it run for about 20-25 seconds.

Someone told me once that it's not a bad idea to sniff the nozzle before pumping fuel. Just a wiff to make sure someone didn't dump gas in the diesel tanks.$.02

Last edited:
Will do. He isn't the smartest kid but hopefully he is smart enough to not use gas in it.

Will do. He isn't the smartest kid but hopefully he is smart enough to not use gas in it.

I've seen alot of people put gas in their diesel pickups.

I've also seen a few cases of the fuel truck driver putting gas into diesel tanks at gas stations.

First time I saw that happen made me sick. An older guy brought in a super clean 01 with 11,000 miles that he drove 150 miles with a fiver in tow, with gas in the tank. There was oil everywhere behind the tail pipe. He had a two hour old receipt that showed that he paid for #2. He traded it into us, and we swung a used engine into it :(

My guess is lift pump is dead.

This...if it's an early 04, the pump went TU and needs to be replaced.

Mine did the same thing, felt like it was running out of fuel on the service road. Managed to keep it going long enough to coast into the parking lot at the office. Wasn't going any further than that.

Try to start with ether, if it starts then you have leaking injector or two

I replaced mine with a FASS, but you can get a new replacement pump from Geno's for $160.

FYI, the dealer will probably want to retrofit the in tank fuel pump set up...gonna cost a chitload of cash for no good reason.

Last edited:
Any FASS or AirDog lift pump will work for you. Just pick the proper one for your truck on a dealers website.

Same exact thing happend to me a couple of hours ago 5 miles away from home.. Good thing I have my airdog sitting in the garage ready to be installed!