05-07 Aftermarket Elbow install on an 04

leros

Lookin for Power
I read hhrecovery's thread on this install, but has anyone installed an 05-07 (Accufab or IntakeElbow) on an 04 and not thrown a code? Is there a trick to not throwing a code? I have the latest flash which is said to eliminate the function (whatever that may be) of the throttle body under the elbow.

Anybody put on an 05-07 Elbow on an 03-04 with no problems? If so what did you do for your success?

The function of the throttle body was to close down to help draw in EGR into the motor. The functionality was disabled when a new EGR strategy was developed. You should not have issues with the intake elbow. And besides you are running SCT so you can get it disabled anyways.

I have an 05 elbow on my 03... no probs, works fine and I unplugged all the deals and zip-tied them back, no probs!

I get a check engine light when my SCT tune is removed with an 05 elbow. I got reflashed 11 months ago so I guess I need a newer flash? Maybe its due to my truck having Cali. emissions?????????????

Its a possibility. Is the code for insufficient flow? p0401? or is it for circuit checks?

PSDPlayer said:
Its a possibility. Is the code for insufficient flow? p0401? or is it for circuit checks?

I get three codes....P0407, P0487, P0488

nummit said:
I get three codes....P0407, P0487, P0488

Ah yes. We talked about this before. The other thing is you may have been flashed 11 months ago, but who knows what version of the calibration database the dealer had at that time.

Well. I might try it again because I would like to run it to enhance the new Spearco I just installed. I just don't want the CEL to keep coming on and throwing codes. I'll stop on the way home to talk to my mechanic at the dealer to see what info he can give me. Maybe it is a Ca thing?

nothing really..just delete the butterfly that the 03-04's had..more of a 'direct flow'

Mooring Product said:
Whats so great about the 05?

Don't know if it's "great" but the 03-04 elbow has a very short radius because of the butterfly throttle body assy underneath, the 05-07 doesn't use the body and so the radius is larger so it looks like the flow would be better. Maybe, maybe not? I was trying to eliminate the throttle body like others have.

The Intake Elbow brand uses the same radius on both models but on the 03-04 it will sit higher so you have to pull up the IC tube and struggle to get it on.

leros said:
The Intake Elbow brand uses the same radius on both models but on the 03-04 it will sit higher so you have to pull up the IC tube and struggle to get it on.

yes I have seen that one in person..it is very short..I could imagine it being short if the butterfly stays there. But you could just take the butterfly assembly off though couldn't you..then bolt the new one on?

Abrannan19 said:
I have and 05 elbow..with no CEL.

Did you leave the plugs unplugged or did you pull the female socket off of the throttle body and leave it plugged in? What State are you in? (trying to figure out if a Ca thing with emissions)

leros said:
Well. I might try it again because I would like to run it to enhance the new Spearco I just installed. I just don't want the CEL to keep coming on and throwing codes. I'll stop on the way home to talk to my mechanic at the dealer to see what info he can give me. Maybe it is a Ca thing?

With a SCT file the light goes out and there are no codes. I only get codes and a check engine light when I take the tune out. I guess I will have to swap the stock stuff back on if I need to visit the dealer

My 03 didn't have the butterfly in it. I just had it off the other day and it seems like it has no restrictions. Do you all think it matters with a turbo on these trucks pushing the air?

Mooring Product said:
Do you all think it matters with a turbo on these trucks pushing the air?

Probably not, but it sure looks nice. Some people say they notice better throttle response, a little better low end, and even no turbo lag. Others have said they noticed no change at all and the elbows are a waste of money!

Intake Elbows (company) has some flow charts of their elbows on their site that show improvement over stock, it might be minute, but it's an improvement.

OK, I installed my elbow again (with an SCT tune) and the CEL will come on after starting the truck when cold. I can warm it up and clear the code and it will stay off until the engine sits, cools down and I start it again. I pulled off the female socket from the throttle body and have it plugged in to complete the circuit. I also taped the position of the socket so it won't move (simulating the butterfly open).

I spoke with my mechanic and he said the throttle body is disabled from the software flashes. I would like to run this elbow but if it's going to keep throwing codes and keep have that annoying CEL on, it's going to have to go!

Back