'05 F350 front D60 axle issue

Rogan

US Army Tanker Vet
Hi all.

On my way to lunch today, I started hearing a sound at very low speeds (crawling along, etc.) that sounds much like a rock or pebble was in the RF wheel lug cover.. I removed it, and it was clean, no foreign objects were in there.

had a coworker slowly drive the truck forward and backward, to get an idea of where the sound was coming from..

Upon closer inspection, I see this:

4926729181_9fefb6b810_z.jpg

The seal that you see hanging on the axle, is doing just that; it's hanging there. Just inside the tube, there is another rubber seal, that appears to have some sort of stamped steel "race" of sorts on it's inner opening. It was poking out a little, and I touched it with my finger, and it slid right back inside the tube, with almost no effort..

What is this called, so I can order the correct parts for my $1000 mistress (I call it that, because every time something needs fixed, it's at least $1000.. )

Thanks

Thanks. I figured that's what it was, with the actual fluid seal on the inner portion, since it's dry out on the end.

All the seals I see, however, are for the inner one. Makes it a little tough to order a replacement, unless I go argue with the dealership...

how much of a PITA is it to change, and how best do I go about getting the parts/numbers?

Thanks!

Shouldn't be hard at all, should be able to get them through your local dealer....

To change it out, you need to pull the axle out.

To pull the axle out, you need to remove wheel, brake caliper, brake rotor, and then 4 nuts from the hub studs. Then the entire hub assembly can be pulled out as one unit. You might want to check the ball and u joints to see if they should be replaced while you have everything cleared out to access them. If the u joint needs to be done, then it is easier if the axle is not attached to the hub. You will need to remove the hub lock mechanism and then the c-clip and washers inside.

To change it out, you need to pull the axle out.

To pull the axle out, you need to remove wheel, brake caliper, brake rotor, and then 4 nuts from the hub studs. Then the entire hub assembly can be pulled out as one unit. You might want to check the ball and u joints to see if they should be replaced while you have everything cleared out to access them. If the u joint needs to be done, then it is easier if the axle is not attached to the hub. You will need to remove the hub lock mechanism and then the c-clip and washers inside.

awesome, thank you!