05 Fummins work!

Also progress made today brought home all fuel lines from pump to injectors and intake plate/fuel filter bracket.. sanded and starting to paint those. gonna do engine mods soon.. trying to find someone to help me stud the head at my work do valve springs and pump mods... then painting and done.. will get some pics of motor tomorrow as it sits.

Then have to give the tranny a long hard thought... do i use the 5r100? or shell out for a manual either NV4500/5600.. try to locate a adapter plate and set the truck up that way? or what.. hard decision! cant buy anything else until i figure out tranny!!!

5R100 does not like the low end power a B series produces. Both of my swaps have manuals for a reason. The actual parts from ford for the swap are $200, clutch pedal, steering column cover.

Im in the same boat as you dude. Doing a 12v swap into an 04 that has the 5r110. Heard nothing but bad things about trying to control that transmission so I am considering an built Allison, but I am not sure if that is the right move either. There are just so many options and they all have there good and bad characteristics. I guess you can never go wrong with a manual, you dont have to deal with getting the programming just right. Good luck with your conversion.

WHAT do i need to do to the T case (input wise) to make it work with a NV4500 or 5600 transmission?

I got the Shift on the Fly T case and would like to retain that, but will be buying a NV4500 or 5600 very soon due to simplicity of the swap and saving me money on the adapter plate/pcs controller/flywheel all that crap i DONT need from destroked or fordcummins if i stick with original equipment to the cummins drivetrain/motor.

dumb question, but NV4500 4x4 trans... how is it cooled? i still have the auto cooler.. its in rough condition, but just curious hooking it up.. do i need cummins oil cooler? or what?... figured out the shift on fly T case issue.. got a 271/273 input shaft that fits nv4500 from moparpartsamerica.com paid like $230.. but problem solved!

it is cooled with the gear oil inside the transmission (no cooling lines) Manual transmissions don't generate heat like a automatics do where you have a torqueconverter and clutches slipping creating friction/heat.

Ford's ZF6 is externally cooled and is one of the toughest manuals on the market. I think the main difference between older non-cooled manuals is that they used the heavier gear oils where these newer trans. use much lighter ATF fluids. Just my opinion. Steven.

Ford's ZF6 is externally cooled and is one of the toughest manuals on the market. I think the main difference between older non-cooled manuals is that they used the heavier gear oils where these newer trans. use much lighter ATF fluids. Just my opinion. Steven.

Your right, i was referring to the NV4500.

I understood what you meant. Just pointing out that an external cooler couldn't hurt. Not needed on the nv I agree.

what lubricant does NV4500 take? read something about it HAS to be a certain brand or type? anything against maybe running a synthetic gear oil? like mobile 1 or royal purple gear oil? advances in lubricating oils has only gotten better since 94-2003...

It requires a synthetic oil tou can get from any dodge or gm dealer. GM part number 12346190 list price is $26 a bottle, you need 4.

Do not get suckered into the dealer BS that the NV4500 runs some special lube. The fluid is 80w synthetic gear lube. Amsoil is a better quality lube for half the cost.

AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic and Manual Transmission Fluid

Right from the Amsoil site.

Ideal for NV-4500 Transmissions
AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube is a thermally stable, extreme pressure formulation that resists heat, oxidation, acid build-up and varnish. It is the ideal gear lube for high temperature applications, including the New Venture NV-4500 transmission, which retains heat due to its cast iron housing and is often subjected to heavy loads and high torque from turbo-diesel engines.

AMSOIL MTG is the replacement fluid for GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459 (Chrysler specification #MS-9070).

Last edited:
I have tried plain synthetic fluid, there is a difference in my experience.

No difference. Just plain synthetic. This was an argument years ago when everyone started swapping in the NV's into Landcruisers and jeeps. I recall the final nail in the coffin was a MSDS sheet provided with 55 gallon drums to the military that stated it's composition and it was syn. 80w I have prob. 25k on a NV in a 71 Landcruiser that has ran Amsoil exclusively and when I did a 1st. gear swap it looked like it had almost 0 miles on it. But keep on spending $100 a fluid change. Chevy does need all the help they can get. LOL

Thanks for update, will run amsoil... i love their products.. oil is alittle pricey, but gear oil and trans oil is nicely priced.

I'm running the pennzoil fluid in my trans that alot of guys run its like $8 a quart and me and a few friends have yet to have any problems and they all shift ok, it's the synchromesh you can buy at any auto parts store