05 hard starting thread

workhorse99

I have an 05 3500 with 170,000 miles, when the engine is cold in any weather it will start hard then stall immediately, then start but very hard. The cranking rail pressure is around 3000psi the idleing pressure is around 6-7000. I checked the prv it seems fine not to be leaking. I purchased a arson 3 kit from shane. I unplug the new fca it doesnt start any easier than before, but the pressure only maxes out at 21,000psi. I didnt check the connecter tubes or injector return yet. The dealer installed new injectors about 10,000 miles ago. Does it sound like injectors, or maybe the new fca? When you unplug the fca shoundnt it max out at 27000 or is that because the prv could be blown? Any ideas woudl be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ever change the lift pump by chance? Just a thought could be suckin air for a second

I have an 05 3500 with 170,000 miles, when the engine is cold in any weather it will start hard then stall immediately, then start but very hard. The cranking rail pressure is around 3000psi the idleing pressure is around 6-7000. I checked the prv it seems fine not to be leaking. I purchased a arson 3 kit from shane. I unplug the new fca it doesnt start any easier than before, but the pressure only maxes out at 21,000psi. I didnt check the connecter tubes or injector return yet. The dealer installed new injectors about 10,000 miles ago. Does it sound like injectors, or maybe the new fca? When you unplug the fca shoundnt it max out at 27000 or is that because the prv could be blown? Any ideas woudl be greatly appreciated. Thanks

21000 is normal at idle when unplugging the FCA, the CP3 can only make so much pressure at idle speed. Sounds like a injector is returning too much fuel, pull them out and have them tested. Even fairly new parts can go bad, especially if you run dirty fuel through them. What fuel system are you running? It needs a 2 micron filter, if it doesn't have one already.

Last edited:
The P2609 code is a grid heater code.
I have had it for yrs, mine are disconnected.

Dealer probably put junk reman injectors in it.

has a air dog on it. Yeah that what im beginning to believe that the dealer through in whatever they had laying around. Because once i got it back my fuel mileage dropped considerably. Ill have to pull them out and get them tested.