05 oil pressure problembs...

mrmuddy76

Before its a problem i did try to use the search and i apparently did not try the right keywords because i cannot find what i am looking for......

So a few days ago i noticed that my 05 would ding at me about 20 sec after i cranked it... i have a tail light out and the indicator message is blinking at me so i just figured thats what it was indicating. today i caught a glimpse of the oil pressure gauge falling when it dinged but it didnt go all the way to 0 just to about 20 then jumped back up to 40 or so. i kinda have figgured that the oil pressure guage is just a Idiot Light but now i have have proof. I hooked a mechanical guage to the filter housing and cranked the truck. no oil pressure maybe 1 or 2 psi just barly lifting the needle. i freaked and killed the truck. checked everything not leaks so i moved the guage so i could see it from the cab and started it again. still 0 at 800rpm but the dash gauge says about 35..... so a gave it some gas and at 1500 rpm its setting at about 15psi and at 2500 its at 45 psi. now i know this is not normal but wtf the gauge is not even close. im not getting the check guages light ever and i show no oil pressure on the mech. guage. my other issue is is were the hell is my oil pressure. this is a new engine top to bottom it runs great not knocking no blow by no issues has less than 10000 miles on it.... please help....

What brand of oil?
Also filter?

I run amsoil 15/40 with the dual bypass filter relocation setup and mine does this most cold mornings or after 3k miles on the oil. Weird thing is only happens 2-3 times a week.

im running the same oil 15/40 amsoil i was running a wix filter now im running a K&N. mines doing the 0 oil pressure at oper. temp but not the ding with the dash guage droping out if that makes sense

So checked it with another gauge on the filter housing its now showing around 3-10 psi at idle hot. But still take a few secs to prime , could it be in the filter housing/ oil cooler thingy?

Aren't the oil pressure gauges on these trucks no more than dummy gauges?

How often to the oil pressure sending units or sensors go bad on these trucks?

Oil pressure switch is on drivers side above motor mount. It is just a on/off pressure switch, will not give actual pressure reading. The computer calculates what you see on the dash.

Ya I figured as much because there is no oil pressure reading available when I hook up to my ecm. I read one that the gauge displays half gauge when the switch is activated at something like 6 psi. So does that mean that mine is ok as long as the gauge says I have out pressure and not check gauges light is on ?

I would get a cheap $15-20 oil pressure gauge at the parts store just to watch it under the hood and verify that you have sufficient pressure. That way you can drive the thing without sweating bullets and fix what you need to fix without being in a panic state

Yes I have done that, I have around 5 psi at idle hot and a little more when cold

The pressure relief valve is beside the oil filter its a 19mm can with a spring under it and then then the valve is under that, the bypass valve is the filter housing between the oil cooler and filter... I think

Looks like you are headed down the correct path. Possibly some crap in it, if anything.

Ya I hope I can get this figured out, does any one know what an acceptable idle oil pressure is?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

After 171k I get 24-28psi at idle and at 2000rpms about 60-65 at operating temp. I've never seen lower than 22psi.

Ya I am hoping that its in the filter housing, hopefully something simple. I ordered gaskets for the housing and cooler plate so with any luck ill know by Monday evening....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Not sure on Cummins but I think spec for my lly duramax is like 3-7 psi. Maybe Cummins spec is low like that. Mine idles about 25