05 oil pressure problembs...

When my truck had 1800 miles on it had the same thing happen.
Gauge would drop down then come back up.
Took it in to dealer, was told oil sending unit was bad, would order
one, but was ok to drive until it came in.
One week later went in to replace, I told them to drive and listen to turbo whine.
They called me later in the day and told me they needed to replace my motor.
Bad oil pump.

Last edited:
I really hope that's not the case with this one but the oil pump isnt that bad to get too , its the bearings I'm worried about.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

So... Does any one know how to get the little valve out??? It seems as it might be the culprit... If I blow air threw it in the direction it should seal I leaks like crazy....

evavevyd.jpg

So... Does any one know how to get the little valve out??? It seems as it might be the culprit... If I blow air threw it in the direction it should seal I leaks like crazy....

evavevyd.jpg

Is that an aftermarket oil cooler housing? looks like it?
OIL PRESSURE

At Idle 69 kPa (10 psi)

@ 2500 rpm 207 kPa (30 psi)

Regulating Valve Opening Pressure 517 kPa (75 psi)

Oil Filter Bypass Pressure Setting 344.75 kPa (50 psi)

I'm sure if its after market it has Cummins numbers on it . And idea how to get the bypass valve out? I got a new one coming but can't get the old one out.
Thanks for the info on oil press.

Replace the oil filter housing, the part of the housing that the regulator moves in wears out over time and causes an air leak on the oil suck side so that is why it takes so long to get oil psi because the oil pump looses its prime overnight.
Check for a gap between the regulator and the housing. The little copper piece is just an oil bypass for if the filter gets clogged.

The little copper piece is concerning me because I can put naptha in the side that should be blocked and it leaks right through, even with a little air being it to seal it...vi ordered both the prv and the reg. Valve from cummins today so should know soon...

Well today I got both valves put back in and new gaskets and new oil and its a little better but know a lot . Now its about 10 or 12 hot witch is much better than it was but it still makes me uncomfortable... I verified the reg valve wasn't leaking by so I now I'm out of ideas... I need to change my front main at some point so I might take the timing cover off and check the oil pump. Short of that does any one else know where I might look? Any help is greatly appreciated.

it is possible but I would think that if it was the oil would look milky with air. I have ran the turbo feed line into a water bottle and it doesn't look like it has air in it. it is definitely on the list of stuff to check but that's gunna suck to do with the motor still in the truck best I can tell. I think I might pull the timing cover off and check every thing in there before I go to them bottom end. if I remember right I can pull the lifters up with the push tubes and band them into pairs so that I can pull the cam with out dropping lifters into the pan. that way I can look at the cam bearing and the cam journals. any thing else I can look at while im in there before I go a little deeper ?

Is the only reason you say to change the filter housing because of tolerances in the reg. Track? I checked mine and it seem very tight no wobble to speak of. I also check the gasket surface for flatness. If it was the reg leaking I would have oil on the top side of the plunger after its been driven, I do not . Also I don't know that reg could leak the kind of pressure I'm missing. Sure if it was opening I could see that but the turbo is feed with aprox. A .250 line. The a big line so if I were to block that off then my oil pressure should go up. I tryed that and absolutely no change in idle pressure. This makes me believe that its possible that I'm not getting good oil to the filter housing. Possibly a bad pump, leaking pump, cracked pick up or something to that effect.

I'm not arguing with you about it being in the filter housing I'm just trying to systematically trouble shoot this without throwing a bunch of easy parts at it.

I hope to pull the timing cover tomorrow and check the pump and galley plugs

So figured out what the issue was, any guesses ?

Well as it turned when I pulled the pan we found a pickup bolt in the bottom also found the other bolt was almost out, I can believe it would even prime the oil pump like that. The strange thing was that the oil wasn't foamy like I would expect if it was picking up air. Any way 10 psi to 75 psi is enough change to make me think the problem is solved

No kidding I am glad didn't have to build another motor