05 track bar bushing

they want to put it higher negative settings. even talked about getting bigger degree cams since ford only offers up to a 1*. talked about getting a 2* or more... Driving normally the steering is tight and doesnt return to center well. they atributed it to a tight box but pump pressure was low and needed new pump. once pump is installed they will check steering again before they put it on alignment rack if i give the ok. I spoke with someone at truck toyz but dont remember who. They said for 6" they keep castor at ford specs and only 8" and up do they go to 5-6* castor. Procomp sets theirs to 4*. right about where mine is at.....

i spoke with the advisor today. they want to make it more NEGATIVE. they replaced the pump for low pressure not low flow. The pump that was installed had less pressue than the first. Another pump should be on in a while. the advisor tried to call the tech to get pressure reading but tech wasnt in his bay so i just know pressure was low. They still need to know from me if i want them to check alignment and make it more negative. kinda weary about this from comments posted.

Personally, I wouldn't make it more negative. I think where you are should be fine....

I mean, if you wanted to you could try what they want....

ok another pump installed and yet again failed due to pressure and fluid being way too hot. they are now searching for restrictions on the system but know something is messed up with it. we will see what he says next...complete new steering syste?? who knows...

they wont look at the box until they get it on the rack. i told them to put it on the rack. advisor says he might be wrong but his guy wont make it worse...i told them they could put it up there but not to change anything before they call me...

I wonder if it's possible to swap in the new style box???

I know Marty and the guys swapped over the newer style axle into an 05 X (leaf sprung, old box, etc..) and it had way less play with the new box.
The newer boxes have larger sector shafts.....but have more internal play from what I've gathered.

So, have they been replacing the pump all these times or have they ever replaced the box??

first was 2 boxes. this trip was 2 pumps...ok. just got off the phone with the tech. 45min conversation. truck isnt going on the rack(alignment rack) until they figure out the pump issue. first pump that was installed effected the brakes. def. a bad one. second one is much better but still low and fluids are too hot. He is working on getting different fittings to connect into the system in many different locations to check where the pressure drop is occuring. he is starting to look for foreign matter being somewhere in the system..box, lines, cooler. reservoir dumps instanly after lines are removed. no restriction there as well as strainer is clean. alignment issue we talked about and he just wanted to look at it before he makes any changes. we went through the history and the system has been accessed 6 times for repairs. plenty of time to introduce something for sure. its been in 5 times for steering issues. they know something is screwed and said it has nothing to do with lift or tires. tech really seemed to know his stuff and was extremely nice. he also said it sounded as though i had done tons of homework to try to help them resolve this issue. so that was nice.

Damn, at least it sounds like they really want to get this thing figured out for you.

Keep us updated of this.

well it turns out my steering assist problems were related to my drop pitman arm. after 2 boxes and 2 pumps were replaced because they were bad(well one box anyways) it was found steering was like butter after factory pitman arm was installed. I have contacted pro-comp and have been dealing with technical support and engineers will be involved monday morning. The thing is what do i use for a pitman arm now that im lifted? I know something has to be done. where do i go from here. The truck will be done monday sometime and will figure out how hard im going to get hit since it has been there since wednesday the 31st.

What was wrong with the pitman arm??

A drop pitman arm will place more strain on the steering box...it's the first time I've heard of this happening...

well it didnt have pressure assist for crap. then they put a factory pitman arm on and it was like butter. the advisor was supposed to call me back but didnt. I guess ill get the update monday...

ok went and looked at my truck today but couldnt test it as advisor wasnt there and keys were locked in tecks box and tech wasnt there. i did look at it with stock setup and dont see how they even turned it because the nut and stud of the drag link on the passengerside wheel will hit the sway bar within 1" of movement and that it also doesnt look like the arm will clear drop trac-bar bracket. pluse the pitman arm was barely on there...no threads showing out of nut. i will test with the tech monday....

just to note it seems like you decided to not go more negative but the more negative you go the less return to center on the wheel you will have.

My buddy has a fabtech and his sector shaft moves side to side like a half inch and the dealer claims its the drop pitman arm that wore it out or somethin like that.

The newer steering boxes aren't that great, from what I've seen.

They have larger sector shafts than the old boxes. When the old boxes would fail, the sector shaft would shear.....the new boxes seem to fail internally.

I know DR carries a spare steering box on their race truck so that they can quickly swap them out.

well i actually tested it today with stock wheels and tires. stock pitman arm the truck turned fine(parked lock to lockmultiple times). we put aftermarket pitman arm on there and the wheel turned 3/4 rotations fine and then got hard to turn. detemined it to be an issue with pitman arm. Checked ball joints as Marty from truck toyz suggested. they are dead set it is that so we will see what the bill for all this stuff is. I as well am looking into the psc steering assist ram where they port the box and add a ram....

ok well got the bill to the tune of $1550. This is with the gear box they wanted to charge me because they said i adjusted the mesh gear to tight. however that is under dispute. if the gear box is taken off it will be $850. Dont know the full details as this was a quick conversation as to what the next process was. Once i get it back i will be looking into different pitman arm setups as well as a psc assist ram setup. I shouldnt have any issues after that but shouldnt have any now...However they were originally trying to make this a full customer pay and charge me over $3k for all the work done even though the first pump leaked and second one wouldnt power the brakes. my service advisor did put a stop to that...

Last edited: