06 knocks & has 3 injector solenoids shorted to body.

Gibson

There's no love in diesel
Had an 06 come in that was knocking like crazy. Not intune with RPM and change pitch and frequency after running for a few mins. Exhaust had a raw fuel smell. No blow by or exhaust smoke. i did not rev the engine over 1000 rpms or drive on road Tho. Pulled injectors and tested them at an injection shop. 2 were in spec. One border line on return rate. 3 had solenoids shorted to injector body. What's the procedure to remedy the 3 injectors? Solenoid swap? Or buy new injectors?

Last edited:
Replace all 6 and go from there. U can get new tops for them but if u have them out, It's easier but not cheaper to do so

What are the steps or instruction on solenoid replacement? I've never tore into a CR injector before.

I assume after solenoids are swapped I should retest injectors.

If you arent familiar with it have the injection shop fix them, thats the smart choice for you and your customer.

Thinking of just sending them to Todd.

Truck is an auction truck and going to be ran back thru auction when finished but I don't want to do anything subpar here.

Last edited:
I swapped mine myself when I broke the tabs off top. Lock in vise and real easy.

What are the steps or instruction on solenoid replacement? I've never tore into a CR injector before.

I assume after solenoids are swapped I should retest injectors.

Depending on how much you care, yes. My understanding is that flow balancing the injectors sometimes requires shimming the solenoid. Not DIY, have the injection shop to it, IMO.

I just sent all 6 to Todd this morning. Will probably end up with 6 new ones so I don't have to mess with it anymore.

Box has 'Gibson Diesel' written is sharpie on it in big letters. Attn: Todd. Call me when you get them.