06 power stroke

milos

well i was given a 06 f250. how reliable is this thing, it has 40,000 miles. its all stock 4x4 auto. im allso a dodge guy so be nice.

Thats great. I kind of figered that it would be more trouble than its worth>

Is it a one owner? How was it driven in its previous life? What would like to do with it?

I can be reliable in stock form or modded form. I feel driver has alot to do with the longevity of these motors. If you are going to hammer it, it will not last long before the repairs come into play.

They are not all piles of crap. You really need to head stud them and delete the EGR and a majoirty of your issues for the average person will disappear.

Tired of you Dodge idiots bashing the 6.0.

I have an 03 studed and EGR deleted and love it. I run the piss out of it and spray nitrous at it.

Also have a stock transmission.

106,000 miles

Well the truck was driven by my mom. I just want to keep it stock, hence reliable. I have the o4 dodge to go fast in.

If you keep it stock it will probally be ok. But if you start to modify it too much be ready to pay the piper. You egr causes the problems. So if you decided to tuen it, you may want delete that. A custom tuned SCT tuner will be your best option if you want a little more. It takes care of your tranny.

I would do SCT with custom tunes, egr delete, and a coolant filter and it should be very reliable. If you get an SCT you can get some mild tunes for it if you don't want anything big.

Are these the year trucks that the cab has to come off to do headstuds? Oh and thanks for all the replys.

All 03 and Up trucks may require cab removal for headstuds. Some people have put studs in with the cab on, but I don't think its the easiest.

+1

You can do headstuds on the 6.0 without removing the cab but its a PITA.

My son has a 2003 with 140,000 all stock. The only recurring problem has been
EGR [ delete is good idea] . FICM has just gone bad [ouch] but other than that -normal maint. . Use Motorcraft filters and change fuel filters at least once a yr. and drain water out of fuel filter under cab every time you change oil. Head studs don't hurt but are expensive to do.

If it were mine I would do a straight pipe from the turbo back, EGR delete, if you do that you will probably need to buy a tuner, use all motorcraft filters, use good oil (I swear by Valvoline Premium Blue), and run BG Purge crankcase cleaner at least once every 6 months (Really expencive but worth the money imo)
I went to a seminar about the Power Strokes and they said to change both fuel filters every time they both come in the box from ford so all it is, is a little extra time. They also compared Motorcraft filters to aftermarket oe replacements and the oe replace ment were nothing near the quality of the Motorcraft.
We have a fleet of 6.0 trucks at work and just switching to motorcraft filters and replacing both fuel filters has knocked our repairs in half. Then we started to BG Purge the trucks and have not had an injector failure.
Sorry about the long post.
Congratulations on the new truck!

If it was given to you, keep it, and build it up.

ARP Studs
EGR Delete
SCT w/ Custom Tunes from Innovative
4" Exhaust
Guages
Coolant Filter

And if you want more, FICM tuning, 155cc injectors, and a PowerMax Turbo... And of course there is always NO2. :evil

Start with gauges! On a 6Leaker you need to monitor ECT, EOT, EGT and FP. EGR coolers fail becouse the oil cooler has clogged and causes the EGR cooler to over heat due to lack of coolant.

keep it, sure its a 6.0......but with a little work and the right parts it will be dead ass reliable for years

Thanks for all the posts guys.I guess ill give the 04 dodge to the wife. It kinda sucks cuz i just put 35 on it.

A 6.0 is a 6.0..there are all piles of crap..:stab:

That must be why shawn ellertons made a 1000 hp on stock internals. Those 6.0's are piles. :stab:

like everyone else said egr delete, studs and an sct tuner you will have an awesome truck just stay up on maintenance.

That must be why shawn ellertons made a 1000 hp on stock internals. Those 6.0's are piles. :stab:

like everyone else said egr delete, studs and an sct tuner you will have an awesome truck just stay up on maintenance.

most internals are/were stock on shawns truck. He has hypermax rods and lower compression pistons that i think are ceramic coated. But other than that the crank, cam, cylinder heads, push rods, and head gaskets are all stock. 6L's can be very reliable, just address the key points.