06 rattling and missing

smalltownshaker

i have an 06 with the 5.9 it runs good but when you get on it or pull a hill it will start puffing black smoke and it misses some also there's a bad rattle that i can figure out cause it wont do it at idle. it messed up on my reason trip to florida and i drained the fuel filter housing, pulled the filter and primed the injectors with sea foam and it seemed to clear it up for 2 days but now its back. Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Lift pump working? If yes check for boost leaks. What mods are done to the truck? What gauges do you have? Just a little more info!!

Whats lift pump and rail pressure at when its acting up?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well that's alot of help! First test the lift pump. Turn the key on can you hear it? Open the drain valve on the filter when running fuel shoot out? Then I would check for boost leaks black smoke means not enough air to much fuel, since its stock to much fuel is kind of impossible UNLESS your pressure regulator is acting up or your FCA. Clean all the grounds on the truck just because you can! And Should these trucks hate a bad ground and do weird things! The rattle could be the FCA going to full pressure which would also cause the black smoke! You should take it to a shop for proper diagnosis seems this is not a problem for a novice to fix!

It's an 06. They do Werid things. Some will black smoke their butts off and run great with good power.

I would try to get some way to see actual/desired rail pressure and what pressure the lift pump is at first. Report back with those findings please sir.

turns out my turbo wheel was hitting the side of the housing, wouldn't have thought it would be the problem since I changed it 10,000 miles ago but had to put a used one on to get me home