06 starting issues

JohhnyFoxtrot

need a trailer
Well my '06 was having an issue of not starting a few months ago. Starter is fine it seems as well asthe new batteries in truck. Some random times stick key in ignition and turn it and nothing happens. I use to be able to wait a about 15-30 minutes and it would start. Now its to the point that it won't start at all and by that it will not turn over when key is turnt to the start position. I had truck in to dealer this summer and they diagnosied it as the pcm is going bad. I had to go pick up truck today from trans shop and it didn't turn over again. Was driving another '06 so I took the dealerships advise and swapped the pcm between trucks and my truck fired right up. I thought this is good atleast I can get them both home easily. Shut the key off waited a couple minutes while we got everything ready for a test drive and then it wouldn't turn over anymore. Swapped pcms back to original trucks and my friends truck still starts but mine will not. I have no idea what to check now. I need help with this its getting really old.

If it won't turn over I would get to measuring with a voltmeter and start at the starter, grab a service manual and see where your not getting the signal.

Does the heater fan shut off when you turn the key forward to the start position?

My 06 did the exact same thing to me, there is a service bulletin for this (I later found out), the small wire that goes to the starter is too close to the bracket that it goes behind, right next to the starter. The wire needs to be moved towards the block to keep it from "leaking" voltage and not cranking. The wire doesn't need to be rubbed through to be affected, only touching the bracket. Push it inward, and zip tie it to the heavy battery cable and you should be all set. Another way to test this is the small yellow wire next to the driver side battery is this same wire; it has a nice disconnect right next to the positive terminal, unplug it and jump the end going towards the starter to power, it should crank the motor over. This is how I bump the motor over to adjust valves, and will tell you if your starter is okay. If you check the other (firewall) end of this "small yellow wire connector" it should have power when you turn the key to the crank position, testing the entire system upstream of the starter. I couldn't believe it either but it fixed mine, probably 18 months ago....good luck!

If it won't turn over I would get to measuring with a voltmeter and start at the starter, grab a service manual and see where your not getting the signal.

Does the heater fan shut off when you turn the key forward to the start position?

Yes Dan it does. Didn't check the rest yet.

My 06 did the exact same thing to me, there is a service bulletin for this (I later found out), the small wire that goes to the starter is too close to the bracket that it goes behind, right next to the starter. The wire needs to be moved towards the block to keep it from "leaking" voltage and not cranking. The wire doesn't need to be rubbed through to be affected, only touching the bracket. Push it inward, and zip tie it to the heavy battery cable and you should be all set. Another way to test this is the small yellow wire next to the driver side battery is this same wire; it has a nice disconnect right next to the positive terminal, unplug it and jump the end going towards the starter to power, it should crank the motor over. This is how I bump the motor over to adjust valves, and will tell you if your starter is okay. If you check the other (firewall) end of this "small yellow wire connector" it should have power when you turn the key to the crank position, testing the entire system upstream of the starter. I couldn't believe it either but it fixed mine, probably 18 months ago....good luck!

THis didn't fix it.

THis however did get it started right away.

I will check the other end of the wire (firewall side) now hopefully.

At the least it does and wil start when that wire is jumped. Now what is the problem?

THanks again for the input.

Ok had hte wife come help me and this part is weird. The firewall side of the connector will not light up a test light but on the volt meter it is 10.99v when key is turnt to the crank position.

Something else I also forgot to mention is that I have a Mopar remote start on that was installed by the dealer when I bought truck new. It will not have any different results that the key does.

Unfortunately, from here, I would need a wiring diagram for the remote starter to help further, but that is the first place I would start, a bad connection at a "dealer connection" related to the remote starter install. I would go under the dash at the bottom of the steering column and look for the dealer installed wiring; I suspect a bad connection or a bad remote starter unit....let us know what you find....If no bad connections are found, I would try to remove the remote starter unit if possible, eliminating it as a possibility, but the low voltage reading screams bad splice to me...again good luck!

I checked the connection under the dash yesterday and it was good as that has happened before I unplugged it and it didn't start. This has been on since jan of '06 and has just recently been acting up. THe connection to the ecm wires have been soldered in. I will work on getting a diagram for it though.

One thing to remember with a lot of digital voltmeters is on solid state device(transistors, etc) you will read voltage from the leakage current of the transistor, but when you load it(test light) it won't show voltage. Just for fun check again, with the meter, leave the meter on, and put the test light paralleled with the meter and see if your voltage goes to virtually nill with both on there.

This happened to me as well n I also read about the TSB somewhere a while back......, I was filling up with fuel, went to leave with a no start and after inspecting all I could with still no start, I had wiggled all starter wires and didnt zip tie but moved (and still check @ every oil change) that one wire away from starter.....that was only thing I touched after looking at just about everything else under the hood and it fired right up, haven't had a problem since......read that TSB not to long after and attributed it to that so, just a little $.02 on the subject. :) Pretty stupid but it apparently worked....

Joe

Guess that wire must have done it for me to. Went out today and plugged everything back up and it fires everytime now with key and remote start.

Thanks for all the help.