07 5.9l that randomly shuts off

timbo24

Casper
I having problems with my 07 that randomly shuts off. It sometimes goes a couple of day or even a week or so before it decides to shut off. It does it driving down the road and even at idle. Thought it was the lift pump so I sent it to fass. They said there was nothing wrong with it. So I took it upon myself and bought a air dog 165. Well needless to say that didn't work. Sent the injectors and connector tubes off to be tested and they came back perfect. Sent both cp3's off to be tested they also came back fine. Checked all grounds to make sure they were tight and no corrosion. The rail is pluged. I noticed when it shuts off that u can try to crank it repeatedly and it will just shut off. Let it sit for 5 to 10 mins and it will crank up and you can drive off till next time it happens again. Anybody had this problem?

I had a truck doing this. The injector tubes were loose. We tightened them up and so far so good going on 3 months..

Took us about 6 months of the guy coming in every few weeks confused.

See if that fixes it

I check them twice now and retorqued them to 45 pounds. Thought about buying new ones but Harvey at exergy said they tested fine. I also noticed when it shuts off the lift pump has no pressure on the guage.

my dads did the same thing for a while

when rounding corners would shut off at random.. threw a P088 code or similar to that.. wound up being a faulty FCA.. replaced it, and all was well.. before that tho, All injectors and connecter tubes were checked...

Could be ECMs ground also, remove ground, clean with scotch Brite and reinstall.

No codes I'm assuming, but would a faulty ground for the crank position sensor or cam sensor throw a code? I would think it would shut the truck down if there was an issue with those. Maybe a wobly toner ring? I'm just spit balling here.

Good luck.

I just wired the lift pump to the battery with a toggle switch to ensure that the lift pump was not cutting out. Turned it on and drove down the road about 200 ft and the lift pump was making some noise. Backed the truck up to the house and saw that the lift pump pressure was at 4 psi. So I shut the truck off with the lift pump running and the psi jumped up to 16. Any Suggestions?

Never mind I just saw you drove like 200ft... maybe clogged filters causing a restriction in fuel pressure?

Had a 97' obs 7.3 did the same thing when the crank/ can sensor would go out. Just shut off randomly driving maybe a week or two months before it would happen again. Always kept a spare in the glove box lol

May be a stupid question but what does the cam/ crank sensor have anything to do with the lift pump pressure?

Not a stupid question lol because that is a good question. Was the truck running fine when the fuel psi dropped it acting up?

Clean all your grounds. As far as the lift pump take off the inlet and look if there is a filter also your injectors may be toast " excessive return flow" BUT my guess is the filter is plugged at the inlet!

I say it is weird that it only had 4 psi running but jumped up to 16 when you shut it off. But as long as you have positive pressure at the cp3 I think it would stay running and not just die.
I had about the same thing happen when my rail pressure gauge wiring was corroded but it threw a rp pressure code when it happend