08 Ford with 03 Commonrail 5.9

Thanks Jason, you're a doll. Tore the engine down somewhat just to inspect and found 12v rods in the bottom so the bottom end should be pretty solid. Whoever rebuilt the thing before me too used a 6.7 headgasket instead of a 5.9 so that's fixed now too. Got the truck pulled in and finally started on it tonight. Whole donor drivetrain is ready to go and the Ford cab is almost ready to lift and will be coming up tomorrow morning and the stock motor and trans will be getting pulled hopefully tomorrow late morning/early afternoon.

image_7.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

Why not let the factory pcm control the 5r? Hear it's getting easier..I'm doing it right now..swapping from zf6 to 5r..
I agree though it'll be a nice truck..keep pics and updates going..I like seeing peoples rigs..good luck on the build,wish I had an 08+ body.

I have the stock stuff shifting my 5r/12v combo. Slowly trying to make it right. A member here lent me an XRT so I can do MCC tuning on the trans. Now all I need is to find time to actually tune it!

Sent from my flashscan v2

And you can pull the 6.4 with the cab on, super easy if the heads are off. I pulled mine alone in my little garage
eb44c8a0986fd628600b26d0a1c1ce25.jpg

Sent from my flashscan v2

Made lots of progress. Drivetrain is in. Pedals are all in. All that's left is cut the hole for the shifter, run exhaust, hook up master/slave, radiator and intercooler plumbing and run some wires! Maybe if I get lucky Shaw will post some pictures lmao

Made lots more progress and I promise to get some pics up soon since Jason is lagging. Shifter hole is cut and the stick is in. Apparently there's some kind of plastic air vent that runs along the center of the truck for the climate control in the rear. It's no longer in there to say the least. Fass has been mounted. Ended up flipping it around and welding the Fass bracket to the inside of the frame and you can just barely see the bottom on the filters. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing those damn filters sticking out way underneath a truck. Used a stock lower radiator hose just cut down for the bottom and am not sure what we will be doing for the top yet. Cut off the stock intercooler pipe just behind the radiator and welded it with a dodge intercooler pipe for the passenger side intercooler plumbing. On the driver side we will be cutting off the stock Ford piping and custom making a pipe to connect to the top of the grid heater that's nice and round and pretty. Mounted 2 electric fans up front as well with a thermostat from Jegs. I was hoping to stay with the stock fan setup from the Dodge but the engine sits too far forward in the engine bay. This thing is honestly coming together really easily and should have it up and running by the middle/end of this week. There's plenty of room all around the engine to do whatever it is that I need to do or change.

2 IDs in 1 pic.
Hey, it's a Fordge cumminstrokediesel.

Glad that engine appears to have worked out for you, c_houchins. :cool:

Mark.

Started her last night for the first time. Clutch is acting goofy so we are digging into that but otherwise everything seems to be working correctly. I'll try to get some pics/vids up of it running and driving soon.

Not trying to derail your thread, but can you run a second gen type exhaust manifold in a super duty cummins swap and still have room for the AC? Thanks

I have seen people do it with a HX35 but it wouldnt work for me with a HE351. I ended up using a CR manifold and porting it to match a 12v head.

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. I was in a car accident the day after I got the truck finished and brought home but I did get the truck finished and have to say this thing is SWEET. Other than the Ford master pushing the release arm on the Dodge slave too far causing the throwout bearing binding issue this thing is fun and a blast to drive even though it's easier to float gears like in a semi. Looks like I will be actually be swapping in a 48 in its place due to complications with my hip after the accident. I'll keep everyone updated.

pm me or text me I have a few things to pick your brain about please. im getting ready to do the same thing.. except im running 5r

thanks

Richard