10.25 sterling to dana 80?

01quadcab

Just a slow VP truck
Thinking of doing this in my 95 f350 srw as I have access to an 01 80 disc brakes with an arb. was wondering if anyone has done this before and is it worth it or is is a big hassle?

Done it a couple times, move spring perches, deal with u-joints as necessary, make parking brake cables work. No big deal.

thanks for the reply's I was just wondering what it would take and if it was worth it. I want rear disc's

There's a tremendous strength difference between the D80 and the Sterling 10.25 and Ford's 10.5. While the Sterling and Ford axle are tough axles, the D80's ring gear/pinion are massive compared to them and the D80's come with 37 spline shafts vs 35 spline shafts. The only advantage to the Sterling and Ford axles are the hub bearings are HUGE compared to just about anything Dana Spicer puts out.

It's more than worth it.

Put one in mine last week. Had to move the spring perches, which wasnt too bad. I put all new bushings in the leaf springs while I was there too. My speedometer sensor plugged into the dodge one but not real good. I havent got it out of the shop yet so I hope that part works.

I am keeping the 10.5 sterling. 4.88 gears its not a weak point .

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

I know many people including myself that have beat the crap out of the 10.5 and .25's without issues. The only failure locally was a twisted tube, but it wasn't welded and the traction bar broke.

the reason I want to do it is I have access to a low mile 80 with arb in it and disc brakes. I want disc brake rear so it just seems like the cheaper option plus the 10.25 has 3.55 gears and I know someone that wants it.

I plan on swapping out my 10.25 also, ive broke two pinion gears in the 10.25. Im thinking either a dana 80 or 14 bolt gm.

Which Dana 80s are you swapping for? Ford or Dodge, 10 lug or 8 lug? You guys are saying Dana 80s are tough. Is that both 10 & 8 lug?

Jake there's some websites I found on google. This one uses El dorado brakes. I'd rather find a kit that uses more common parts.

Rear Disc Brake Conversion