1000hp hard parts/bottom end

PRINCETON_JAKE

So i "want" to build a high horse power 12valve motor, I have a 1989 non intercooled pickup engine to start with, all i want to use from this motor is the block, crank, and rods. I dont have anything to put it in yet, but i would like to have a truck i can take to the strip, to the track, and back to work.

Are they decent parts/castings to use? Or should i start with different parts?

I plan on getting the rods polished, and shot peened, as far as the crank, on the gassers i've built i would knife edge the crank to lighten the rotating mass and shead oil, is that done on diesels? I will have the entire rotating assembly balanced and cryoed.

I have read early 1998 and older blocks are 14mm main studs, is that right? Is there any tricks or things to do to the block? I will get some kind of a girdle and studs, and also get it cryoed too.

I'm going to bore the block, so i can start fresh, what are a good, affordable set of pistons to use, i would like to get flycuts in case i go with a bigger cam down the road, and to lower the compression alittle. What about the bow, if i get fly cut pistons with bigger bowls, im afraid to lower the compression too much.

Basically im looking for what to do on a short block for now.

Go ahead and flame on...

The rods in a Ve'ed motor are weaker than the ones in a p-pumped or Vped motor, so I would start with a set of 94-02 rods instead of what you have already.

Balance the bottom end (I wouldnt worry about knife edged crank)
studs and a girdle are good insurance
Big Cam w/flycuts
Non intercooled pistons coated
Cryoed, peened, and polished rods

Your going to have alot tied up in a head, pump, and turbos. I wouldnt get too crazy on the bottom end work, unless you just have a whole lot to spend.

Get some high-end rod bolts, a girdle and main studs would be a good idea, and I'd get the block decked also if you're starting from scratch. I think the '89 pistons had a little bigger bowls, I've always wondered how they would do under big power.

The rods in a Ve'ed motor are weaker than the ones in a p-pumped or Vped motor, so I would start with a set of 94-02 rods instead of what you have already.
ThanksBalance the bottom end (I wouldnt worry about knife edged crank) okstuds and a girdle are good insurance
Big Cam w/flycuts
Non intercooled pistons coated
Cryoed, peened, and polished rods

Your going to have alot tied up in a head, pump, and turbos. I wouldnt get too crazy on the bottom end work, unless you just have a whole lot to spend. I would rather build a good bottom end and run out of money on the top end, rather then have the bottom end fail

Get some high-end rod bolts, a girdle and main studs would be a good idea, and I'd get the block decked also if you're starting from scratch. I think the '89 pistons had a little bigger bowls, I've always wondered how they would do under big power. Thanks

I do work at a machine shop, so i can do almost all the machining for free on my own time.

Last edited:
Theres nothing wrong with going overboard then! I really wouldnt bother with knife edging a crank if you arent going to be turning big RPM... as in over 5500. You might want to plug all your freeze plugs, with the billet ons from Haisly and get a good dampner.

Good luck, post pics!

Theres nothing wrong with going overboard then! I really wouldnt bother with knife edging a crank if you arent going to be turning big RPM... as in over 5500. You might want to plug all your freeze plugs, with the billet ons from Haisly and get a good dampner.

Good luck, post pics!

It would be alot less work to not knife edge the crank, i guess i can still polish the rough casting and cryo it.

I would like to pull 5000rpm's but nothing more.

I dont want the headaches i here with electric water pumps so i'll just get a new one and cut off 2 blades.

I will be making my own frost plug kit.

I do plan on installing a better dampner, but i havnt decided on any, i have seeen awsome deals on like new used ones.

So are all 12valve p-pump and vp rods the same? is there casting numbers i have to look for?

But the crank i have (1989 ve motor) is the exact same as the newer p-pumped 12valves?

Any opionions on pistons?

After anouther quick search, i read people recomend "brazilian" 12 valve rods, what did they come in? and should i look for them?

I also read about using certain year commonrail pistons can work good.

England, Brazilian, and USA's are the most popular rods. They come in all of the engines, it just depends where they were made. There is a set of England rods for sale in the for sale section by fordcummins IIRC.

A lot depends on if you are planning to make that power with fuel only, Twin turbo, big single or nitrous.

England, Brazilian, and USA's are the most popular rods. They come in all of the engines, it just depends where they were made. There is a set of England rods for sale in the for sale section by fordcummins IIRC.

Are there casting numbers or markings on cummins parts to idenify them? Im used to gas stuff, and i havnt pulled a bottom end apart yet on a cummins.

A lot depends on if you are planning to make that power with fuel only, Twin turbo, big single or nitrous.

Definetly compound twins, and nitrous for the track.

If you are going compounds with nitrous, you will not need a huge cam. I would suggest a 181/210 or 188/220.
15-1 compression, shot peened 12 v rods with good bolts.14mm studs top and bottom with a girdle plate.

Last edited:
If you are going compounds with nitrous, you will not need a huge cam. I would suggest a 181/210 or 188/220.
15-1 compression, shot peened 12 v rods with good bolts.14mm studs top and bottom with a girdle plate.

Will i even need flycuts for them cams? Will it hurt to go with a bigger cam, or just no gain?

CIMG0353.jpg

Are they all equal, or is there one thats "better" then the others? Oh, thanks for the picture too.

The ones I listed are supposedly the "best". I have a Japanese one here and it is noticeably thinner then the Brazilian's. I measured it, but don't remember the difference.

:thankyou2:

So this is what it looks like i should do...

My 1989 12valve block and main caps magnifluxedc and cryoed.

Aftermarket (longer) main studs Who makes good affordable ones? ARP?

Main girdle Again, who makes a decent piece?

My stock 1989 crankshaft, polished, balanced, and cryoed

Newwer 12 valve rods, brazilian, US, or England, shot peened, polished and cryoed Aftermarket rod bolts, ARP?

New main and rod bearings What brand is good?

I still dont know what to get for pistons or rings. I read Mahle are a good affordable piston

Cam, I would prefer Hamilton, since i here good things about them. What spec cam would suit me well?

Thanks again.

:thankyou2:

So this is what it looks like i should do...

My 1989 12valve block and main caps magnifluxedc and cryoed. Yes

Aftermarket (longer) main studs Who makes good affordable ones? ARP? ARP will be fine

Main girdle Again, who makes a decent piece? Haisely machine and a few others

My stock 1989 crankshaft, polished, balanced, and cryoed Yes

Newwer 12 valve rods, brazilian, US, or England, shot peened, polished and cryoed Aftermarket rod bolts, ARP? A1

New main and rod bearings What brand is good? Cummins, teflon coated if you have the extra cash

I still dont know what to get for pistons or rings. I read Mahle are a good affordable piston Pm sent

Cam, I would prefer Hamilton, since i here good things about them. What spec cam would suit me well? Check out his new grinds in his section and ask him his opinion.

Thanks again.

There ya go.