12 or 24 swap for a mid-70's Dodge 3/4 4x4

Shep

I like a nice rack!
Just curious...What would it take to do this swap? I know where the truck is, but I'm not a Dodge man and don't know that much about Cummins...just seems like a good daily driver/part time pulling project for a buddy of mine. I don't know what the engine would go for, or converting it, but the truck would be no more than a grand.

Last edited:
I think the easiest way to do this swap would be to get an 89-93 diesel 4x4 and hang the 73 up sheet metal on it. I was told by someone who did the conversion that the frame,cab,& core support are the same .(If I am wrong someone please chime in as I know you will:hehe:) The 92 & 93 have an intercooler which could be a bonus but may require a little extra work to fit the grill. Rich

So find a 92-93 that's seen better days thanks to farm use, and do a body swap. Now the hard part is finding one. I'll ask more as I do the searching. Thanks.

As far as 12v/24v I'd say 12v due to the less wiring, and the more reliable IP.

And the extra RPM would be nice if he wants to pull it.

I think the 70's front clip will bolt right on a 89-93 diesel. I don't know what the advantage would be.

I think the 70's front clip will bolt right on a 89-93 diesel. I don't know what the advantage would be.

It's only an advantage if the 89-93 truck's body is beat up. Other than that it would be purely for a retro look that people would look twice at.