12 to a 24 engine?

hereismylife

Unknow at this time
I am just curious. Am I going to gain much by updating to the 24 engine. the reason I am curious is because I can change stuff because of the electronics of the 24. everything is manual with the 12.

I heard so many problems over the year with the 24 inj pump so I am just looking at input on this....

getting my thoughts together while my truck is down for awhile..

thanks Joe

Well the vp pump is known for goin out but if you get it around 20 psi of fuel pressure with a fass or airdog you should be ok as far as power you will get more out of a p pump 12 valve but vp is a very good daily driver pump and get good fuel milage

I've owned 3 VP trucks totaling about 120,000 miles and never had a hiccup. Good fuel pressure & filtration definitely help to keep them alive. Ran many gallons of used motor oil through one of them without any problems.

I have two 12 valves, with all the futzing around I do trying to tune them and make them run the way I like and be clean it's driven me to the point of wanting to swap for a 24V. Each has its pros and cons but if you have good electronics on the 24V (good clean connections, good sensors, and electrical noise from the alternator in check) a VP truck will run great and make good power with minimal upgrades. The '01 automatic I had lately had 75hp injectors, it could run circles around my '98 with DDP2s and decent cam plate, while making a 10th the smoke of the '98. And it had a lot better manners. I am looking into swapping out the engine in my '98, since I love my short box club cab truck, and it would be darn near impossible to find a nice clean well-optioned 24-valve 2wd club cab.

With that said, a really well dialed in p-pump rig just has that natural mechanical diesel engine feel that a VP or HPCR truck cannot duplicate.

Last edited: