12 Valve Fuel System

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
Just wonderin when or at what power level we need to upgrade our fuel systems (Im 12-Valve 215 Pump) or even if we have to??? I hope they are good to go, considering how far im already in the hole :bang
Thanks, Brandon

Seems like the stock lift pump is good up to 500 horse. Beyond that, things need to get upgraded. The hole gets deeper, and deeper, and deeper.....

To 500 NOOOOOOOOOOO please sombody say he is wrong :poke:
If so what needs to be upgraded/removed/tuned/tweaked/made better/SPEND MORE MONEY etc.
Thanks, Brandon

once you get up in the hp range you will have to add a fass system or some type of axuailary fuel pump to help the stock lift pump, or one that will bypass it.

Because once your injectors get big enough and start dumping serious fuel the stock lift pump can't keep up with demand. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel system and you will see the pump can't maintain much psi at WOT. Other then that you shouldn't have to replace the injection system unless you want a built pump from somebody or you can have yours built.

I don't know the hp level you need it but it does make a different in you quarter mile times alot, do to not getting all the fuel you are capable of getting since fuel pressure drops with the stock lift pump.

535rwhp with a 62mm single. 18* timing on a new Case lift pump and a turned up 215 pump... still going through all the factory hard line, heater, and filter... there was still a healthy dark gray haze at WOT. there was more fuel to burn. while I'm sure an aftermarket setup is beneficial above 500, I wouldn't say it's essential

I'd like to run an aftermarket fuel system just to clean up the under hood area!

yes the stock will work to over 600 hp but if the 1/4 mile adding a system makes a .6 .5 of a second difference in the time you will run so it is dependent on what you want the truck to do and perform for. just street or strip or pulling.

So the option is a FASS through the factory lift pump, is this adequate???
What type of FASS can I get, the universal one, what flow rates those numbers on these pumps confuse me???
Where do I put the fuel pressure gauge, what brand/type???
Do I strech the overflow valve spring or get a new one and where is it at on the pump???
Sorry for all these questions, Brandon

Or could I slap A holly black Marine pump in line and run that through the factory lift pump. What if the pump was to fail would the stock lift pump pull #2 through the burnt up pump?

Some of us like to use these......

Attachments

• IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 64
RacinDuallie said:
Some of us like to use these......

I ran that setup on my old black truck.... Worked pretty well but fuel pressure was limited and I could get a pressure drop of around 10# using it. On a new buildup we are going with the FASS 200 GPH set up to 60#

The p-pump loves fuel so its not just for performance..... Having good quality fuel and pressure helps ensure not sticking a plunger.

Doug

Looks like um running stock lift pump! When I get this thing back together and running and dig out of this hole a little I will then put some fuel upgrades on it!
Thanks, Brandon

Jetpilot said:
I ran that setup on my old black truck.... Worked pretty well but fuel pressure was limited and I could get a pressure drop of around 10# using it.

Doug
What size lines Doug? -6 -8 -10? And was that through a stock tank suction line?:thankyou2:

-12 from the tank and -10 to the IP. I ran an aftermarket fuel cell pickup.

Jetpilot said:
-12 from the tank and -10 to the IP. I ran an aftermarket fuel cell pickup.
Do you think the -12 had something to do in relation to the psi drop?:poke:

That is the size inlet that the pump uses..... I am just wanting to use what I see as a better setup for my application. The IP I have is BIG and the more fuel supplying it the better, although no HP gains have been seen when running pressures above 30 psi.

With the $$ outlay on this pump I really want to be sure in not sticking a plunger...

RacinDuallie said:
Do you think the -12 had something to do in relation to the psi drop?:poke:

I run the A1000 and a little different regulator (30-70) psi on my aux system but still run the stocker on a day to day basis as mine is a street truck. I'm with Doug on the lots fuel supply that's why I have it, it's on it's own separate turn on switch so there is no need to run it all the time.

I would have to say Haisley's has the best/cheapest stand alone system out there. I ran it for 4 years before I slowly deleted/updated it to the current setup. Way back when I used it and was at 600 hp or so I could still maintain 35-40 psi at WOT.

FYI....on the dyno running 50 psi fuel pressure then running 100 psi netted me nothing in the HP game.

Jim

618 hp on fuel with the a-1000 @ 45psi saw a 5 psi drop at wot. With the stock sys it would clear up completly, now with the 1000 inline, I need to look for bigger chargers:evil -10an from the tank to IP.

What fitting are you guys using to go into the side of the pump? I have -10 from the tank to the A1000, then -6 for the last 1-2 feet with a 14mm drilled out & machined AN power steering fitting into the pump.
I run 30 PSI (so far) and see about 1-2 PSI drop at WOT.

Bobcat698 said:
What fitting are you guys using to go into the side of the pump? I have -10 from the tank to the A1000, then -6 for the last 1-2 feet with a 14mm drilled out & machined AN power steering fitting into the pump.
I run 30 PSI (so far) and see about 1-2 PSI drop at WOT.

You can run a 8AN into a M14 x 1.5 fitting or a 10AN into a M16 x 1.5 with the helicoil removed.

Another option is to run a 10AN up close to the pump and into a 1/2" pipe thread Y block running one line to the inlet and another to the front of the pump...that inlet is a M18 x 1.5 and will take some housing clearencing to make a 8AN fit.

All of these fitting are avalible from Summit or Jegs now. Do a search for Russell metric fittings.

Jim