12 valve motor w/ 24valve head

Yeah makes sense. I always figure it was kinda fishy when someone said a 12v out flowed a 24v. The spray ngle thing make alot of sense too. would probably help with a more dispersed and even combustion. Which is definately needed with the low injection pressures of the VE.

Not to bring this up a month later but think about it. 12 VALVE and 24 VALVE. You've got 12 and 24, now which do you think is going to flow more? Granted the valves in a 12 are bigger but the surface area of the 4 valves per cylinder on a 24 will flow more cfm.

There has been alot of discussion about this lately. I would love to see some actual tests and dyno comparisons. I know it would be hard to get similar setups since there is so much to be changed but it could be done using stock pistons, cams, and heads on both setups and see what the gain is if any. I have a feel that you cost/hp gain-egt reduction ratio is not going to be good.

I plan on putting a 24v head on a 12 block, I was woundering if a Helix 2 cam would work. Thankx

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried putting a duramax head on a 12V block, those heads really flow well...:hehe:

Seriously though, the cost of either route needs to be considered too. If you go 24V head, everything is more expensive. There are more valves, more retainers, more seats, more springs, injectors cost more, custom lines, etc. Smaller valve stems, it requires bridges, head cracking issues, seat dropping issues. You may have a slight flow advantage, but when something goes wrong, it hurts your wallet alot more...

If I was starting from scratch or didn't already have a ported/polished 24V head, I would have went with a 12V...

Stock bridges are fine, Like he said it does cost more! But since I was pulling the motor and picked up a 24V head for cheap I went for it and I am not looking back at all!:rockwoot:
Brandon

Lots of people are starting to go to the 24V heads.

This next season should be a real good test for the strength of the little valves and high rpm... There should be a fingers crossed smilie...

Does anyone have the link to flow numbers that piers used to have online? I cannot seem to find it.

I know Woodruff has had problems with aftermarket valves, I am running the stock valves and will be maintaining 5000. I would say most failures are due to very high spring pressure other than that I dont see a problem?
Brandon

so what im getting out is that it can be done.

Since I have a 53 block, Im probably gonna switch it out for a 12v. Now this is a bare block swap. Ill have CR, 12v and 24v parts on it, so it might get interesting!

Other than the wireing harness, what else wont fit up? if its going to be things like push rods, cam and stuff like that, Im not gonna do it. But if I can throw my 24v head on the 12v block and already have the right pistons, cam and injectors, it seems like a better swap. Plus 24v blocks are hard to come by!

I know Woodruff has had problems with aftermarket valves, I am running the stock valves and will be maintaining 5000. I would say most failures are due to very high spring pressure other than that I dont see a problem?
Brandon

What aftermarket valves did woodruff have problems with?

thats an expensive swap y not just get a port n polished 12v head that flows as much as a 24v head or more.. saviing urself the time n money?

Because he's already got the 24v stuff. He was looking for a 24v block, but I think he found a 12v instead.

I havent found a block.....yet.

And yes I already have all the 24v stuff, so Im not going to spend another 1K bucks to find a 12v head, buy all the springs and keepers, then pay to get it ported, when all I have to pay is 600 to get my current head ported that will out flow a 12v head. Just doesnt make sense to do........

but Im just trying to figure out, if i do get a 12v block, how hard is it going to be to get it to work with the wiring harness and 24v head?

I'd think as long as there is the hole for the crank sensor, I don't think much else will bring you down. I don't think the old 12v blocks had those though. Oil pressure port will probably be an NPT thread instead of the straight metric like on the 24v. You might have to stay with a STORM block.

thats an expensive swap y not just get a port n polished 12v head that flows as much as a 24v head or more.. saviing urself the time n money?

Where is your proof other than hear say?
Brandon

Back