12's and tow?

TrxR

Is it possible to get a 97 12V automatic 4x4 Reg cab or Extended cab into the 12's and still tow a race trailer? If so what would be needed other than a tranny ?

Thanks

What size twins and injectors as well as pump mods should a person look at ? Also Would a person want to 4000 governor springs? Sorry for the questions as I am new to the diesels.

Twins would be a good way to do it.

A single S300 62/71/14 would do it no problem with the right setup though. It would be cheaper and easier to set up too.

As for fueling...Something like this:

4k GSK
5x.014 injectors
191 or .022 delivery valves
#0 or #100 fuel plate
AFC mods for more travel
Mack Rack Plug
17-18* timing
Maybe a fuel system

Eric

pump mods like a fuel plate (one you could actually tune with like a #5 instead of being on max fueling all the time with no plate), 4k springs with 60lb valve springs to keep from floating valves, delivery valves like ones from ddp so you dont get tooo much low end fueling, pump timing, and afc adjustment. Thats just the general stuff for the pump. There are so many combinations for twins that work someone that has tried a few will have to tell you which ones to look into.
To support the twins if it was me id be looking into a cam, hd push rods, 24v tappets, quick spool exhaust manifold (if it didnt come with the twins i chose), better intercooler boots, intake horn, air intake, 5inch exhaust, gauges, 90hp injectors at least and studs to keep the cylinder head down, that way everythings set to take 4000 rpm should i go there at the track and i won't be stranded with my race trailer because i forgot something.

Twins would be a good way to do it.

A single S300 62/71/14 would do it no problem with the right setup though. It would be cheaper and easier to set up too.

As for fueling...Something like this:

4k GSK
5x.014 injectors
191 or .022 delivery valves
#0 or #100 fuel plate
AFC mods for more travel
Mack Rack Plug
17-18* timing
Maybe a fuel system

Eric

12s is pushing it with a 62/71/14 IMO.
CompD calculator says for a 6500# truck to run 12.0 needs 620hp to the wheels. 12.5 needs 545rwhp.

62/71/14s get HOT after 525hp to the wheels, and gets difficult to tow with.

Twins arent that expensive either if you do a HX35stocker/HT3B, cheaper than a 62/71/14 by far. Tows awesome and can do 550+hp.

X2 on the 35/3b combo. You should o-ring and put studs in the head to keep it from popping. Cummins driver has prettymuch everything minus the 62/71/14, twins are cheaper if you can fabricate some metal and flow way more air.

12s is pushing it with a 62/71/14 IMO.
CompD calculator says for a 6500# truck to run 12.0 needs 620hp to the wheels. 12.5 needs 545rwhp.

62/71/14s get HOT after 525hp to the wheels, and gets difficult to tow with.

Twins arent that expensive either if you do a HX35stocker/HT3B, cheaper than a 62/71/14 by far. Tows awesome and can do 550+hp.

I will agree it would be pushing the limits of a 62, but I think it would do it. Brad Ponci was running i think mid 11's on just a 64/71/14 at maybe 630hp? Of course he has lots of time and knowledge into his setup.

I do agree twins would be a sure fire way to have an awesome towing setup that runs 12's with no EGT problems.

Eric

I will agree it would be pushing the limits of a 62, but I think it would do it. Brad Ponci was running i think mid 11's on just a 64/71/14 at maybe 630hp? Of course he has lots of time and knowledge into his setup.

I do agree twins would be a sure fire way to have an awesome towing setup that runs 12's with no EGT problems.

Eric

Brad also says a 64 will flow more than a 66.

He also runs 4-12" slicks.

I'm not trying to say your setup wouldnt work to get into the 12s.

The way I see it is it would suck for towing.
I have been there done that.
4 different turbos:
HX35/40 hybrid, good towing turbo not alot of HP
62/65/14, GREAT towing turbo, still not enough power
62/71/14, Great for 520hp but to smokey for towing in the hills and mountains. Had to watch EGTs like a hawk, until I put the H20 system on, then it was better, but had to refill water.
64/74/14 BADASS turbo for HP, but THE WORSE TURBO FOR TOWING!!(which many people on here said it wouldnt be to good:bang)

I now have a 62/68/14 with a race cover and E.D.s super62 wheel that will go along with a S477 with a race cover.

Should be good for 750-800hp and tow like a semi and run like a raped ape.

If I was to do it all over, I would do a HX35/40 with HT3b and be done with it.
I would have saved a ton of money also.

I made low 12's and daily drove with my previous setup...got around 20mpg highway, I never towed, but would imagine it would be great!

HX40/S475 twins setup, 5x.014 injectors, scheid full cut dv's, 20* timing, 4k GSK, 2095 rack plug, 0 plate, AirDog 150, and Goerend Trans.

Brad also says a 64 will flow more than a 66.

He also runs 4-12" slicks.

I'm not trying to say your setup wouldnt work to get into the 12s.

The way I see it is it would suck for towing.
I have been there done that.
4 different turbos:
HX35/40 hybrid, good towing turbo not alot of HP
62/65/14, GREAT towing turbo, still not enough power
62/71/14, Great for 520hp but to smokey for towing in the hills and mountains. Had to watch EGTs like a hawk, until I put the H20 system on, then it was better, but had to refill water.
64/74/14 BADASS turbo for HP, but THE WORSE TURBO FOR TOWING!!(which many people on here said it wouldnt be to good:bang)

I now have a 62/68/14 with a race cover and E.D.s super62 wheel that will go along with a S477 with a race cover.

Should be good for 750-800hp and tow like a semi and run like a raped ape.

If I was to do it all over, I would do a HX35/40 with HT3b and be done with it.
I would have saved a ton of money also.

Slicks have nothing to do with anything. Its simply a traction aid, not a power adder.

I dont think it would be great for towing, but I dont think it would completely suck either. Depends on how much weight you are pulling. A 4x4 regular cab truck is pretty light, so It doesent take a crazy amount to make them fast, so I think a 62/71 would do it. Just depends on the budget.

Heck, a 60mm HX40 would run 12's and be a great towing turbo. It would just be hot... Lots of ways to go about it.

Eric

I'm liking this. Have been giving some thought to twins, just for the towing advantage. I'm completely in the dark about the piping, etc. Does all the added weight hang from the one exhaust flange? Currently run the Super B and like it but, as always, just a little better would be nice.

Also, can a piping "kit" be had to go with what I already have?

Smitty

Slicks have nothing to do with anything. Its simply a traction aid, not a power adder.

I dont think it would be great for towing, but I dont think it would completely suck either. Depends on how much weight you are pulling. A 4x4 regular cab truck is pretty light, so It doesent take a crazy amount to make them fast, so I think a 62/71 would do it. Just depends on the budget.

Heck, a 60mm HX40 would run 12's and be a great towing turbo. It would just be hot... Lots of ways to go about it.

Eric

Is it possible with a 62/71? yes is it a good idea no not really , why put that turbo or a 60mm hx40 through that kind of heat and damage, i would bet that turbo would blow pop boom pow shabang clash OH SNAP!!! after a while, do it the right way so your not sorry later. IMFO

my regular cab 4x4 slt larmie auto weighs under 6000lbs without me in it, and a little under a 1/4 tank of fuel, and no spare tire. or any junk in the bed, 12's isn't very hard probably take most trucks about 500-550. so hx35/ht3b setup would be fairly cheap and put you into the 12's.

Eric

Eric

Never said slicks were a power adder.
It was a reply to you saying hes in the 11s. Its alot harder to do that without slicks.:bang

Is it possible with a 62/71? yes is it a good idea no not really , why put that turbo or a 60mm hx40 through that kind of heat and damage, i would bet that turbo would blow pop boom pow shabang clash OH SNAP!!! after a while, do it the right way so your not sorry later. IMFO

The thing is, modifying these trucks at all is not a good idea if you are in it for longevity.

You can take almost any turbo and make it live if you know how to treat it. Dont bark them, and dont overboost them and they will last a long time.

I'm liking this. Have been giving some thought to twins, just for the towing advantage. I'm completely in the dark about the piping, etc. Does all the added weight hang from the one exhaust flange? Currently run the Super B and like it but, as always, just a little better would be nice.

Also, can a piping "kit" be had to go with what I already have?

Smitty

Since you already have the Super B, you can get in touch with BD and they will sell you the rest of their twin kit that will bolt up to the turbo you already have and it should be an awesome twin setup:rockwoot:

Eric

OK, will do. Think I read you right that the B would be the primary. Then it would be driving a larger secondary and do the twins work well at higher elevations? Will call them after the weekend.
Thanks

The thing is, modifying these trucks at all is not a good idea if you are in it for longevity.

You can take almost any turbo and make it live if you know how to treat it. Dont bark them, and dont overboost them and they will last a long time.

completely false statement! There are plenty of mods you can do to INCREASE longevity and at the same time increase performance, we all no there is a limit so no reason preaching an old broken record speach to me.

ALMOST any turbo, but at what cost do u sacrifice heated air? And not enough CFM to do the job, start with a good turbo and go from there, this let's try and make it survive thing is a terrible choice in the diesel industry.

Back