12's in the 1/4??

I agree, it is cheaper doing the work yourself.

I said 10K, partly because of labor rates I've gotten from shops, and also because there's no way I'd stop short of going all billet. I'd rather do things once and never second guess it. I don't want a trans that'll hold 50hp more than I'm making. I want it to hold 100-200 more than I'm making. I don't care how harsh it shifts or how it snaps my neck. I don't want to go through transmissions like I have this 68RFE, or not be able to do a boosted launch, or wait for "tuning" to allow my $5,000 transmission to work properly. I'd either go all out with a full billet 48RE, or wait however long till a 68RFE can hold 650-700 reliably.

But I'm sure you're right, someone could do the work themselves and go with less than full billet for cheaper.

It's one of those things that could be overwhelming to think about, bit there isn't that much involved. There are plenty of trucks in the 500hp range, with only a flex plate and billet input. 47rh could even be a option. I tried it, and tried it, and tried it some more. Now we know where the problem was.....it was the T-case I was using, not the trans. 48 is the only option, for now. The 68's have big shoes to fill before I consider them a option, and no one has been able to make repeated boosted launches.

It's one of those things that could be overwhelming to think about, bit there isn't that much involved. There are plenty of trucks in the 500hp range, with only a flex plate and billet input. 47rh could even be a option. I tried it, and tried it, and tried it some more. Now we know where the problem was.....it was the T-case I was using, not the trans. 48 is the only option, for now. The 68's have big shoes to fill before I consider them a option, and no one has been able to make repeated boosted launches.

We'll have to see how the new Suncoast 68 shakes out. All I've read so far is about talk, not time slips, abuse and longevity.

What'd be nice is if some transmission companies started selling kits to swap 48RE's behind 6.7's, similar to how DeStroked does it for mating a 5.9 or 6.7 to a 5R110. Has all the parts, adapter plates, modified bell housings, etc.

I've been to a half dozen diesel shops here in Colorado and you'd be amazed how clueless they are about it. One of the guys at ATS was somewhat familiar with it, but 3-4 transmission builders looked at me like I was speaking Greek. Another told me flat out the project intimidated him. I'm not saying swapping a 48RE takes a degree in rocket science. But, the easier companies like Suncoast, ATS, DTT, NADP, etc., make it swap a 48RE, the more they'd sell.

Last edited:
^^^^ I agree with you. Why wouldn't they wana sell it?

I'm sure cores become an issue for them, since we can't send a 48RE back to them. Not a huge problem, but would be if the orders started rolling in.

I'm sure in time it'll happen. My personal opinion is that since the motors are only 3 years old (and most still under warranty), people don't really want to risk warranty repairs for 800 hp. As the warranties run out, I think we'll start seeing people looking for power. As they look for power, they need transmission options. And when they need transmission options, we'll have more options.

And by options I mean streamlined packages for transmission swaps. Where I can go on a site, add it to the cart, pay for it and a complete swap kit arrives at my door step.