12v to 03 Super Duty Legality Questions

So basically its up to the person inspecting the truck? If so I ll be ok. As far as Registration goes, if I don't tell them anything they'll never know and I'll continue to to recieve it . Is this correct thinking?

Same in MD. And if you have any emissions codes you automatically fail the inspection. The good thing is they only do the full inspection the first time you title a used vehicle. Good until you try to sell it anyway.

Sucks Texas is a pain in the ass but still better than Cali...... Guess I will never have my Late model expedition EL with a 12 valve..... Damnit!

What year did they start enforcing emissions? Any vehicle before that year would obviously be fine. The transplanted diesel motor will be a later model anyway.

Or in a non emissions county.. It then becomes a safety inspection only...

the state inspector man running the machine will click the YES box to the question on the machine "is this a diesel" (and older than 2008) then it bypasses all the emissions crap during inspection and only prompts the safety questions. ( i used to be an inspector in texas, in an emissions county) then your inspection will be complete and you will get a sticker.

awd cars are also exempt from dyno too. just a two speed idle.(if its a gasser)

registation is registration. they bill your vehicle by weight, not what the engine is. and since its not a CARB state, they dont care what engine it has.

Last edited:
ok awesome those are some good thing to hear. Crackerman, what county was that and what info pops up when they scan the Vin?

no info pops up when they scan the vin, its just a way to track where the vehicle was inspected. even after they scan the vin, it still asks if the vehicle has a diesel engine.

it was in tarrant county. in bedford.

ok thanks, Bexar county ( San Antonio) does not require emissions testing so I'm good.